Toilet wax ring

Has anybody tried the "Sani-Seal" no wax replacement for the toilets wax ring?
Hank
On 1/20/2012 9:40 AM, Hank wrote:

why fix something that's not broke? The wax seals last forever and do the job simply.
--
Steve Barker

Unlike you, I ask a question because I want to find an answer. Your reply was useless and a waste of time for all.
Hank <~~~~~ had a leaking wax ring...............duh!
On 1/21/2012 9:54 AM, Hank wrote:

Well "DUH" back at ya! Try a new was ring and keep the toilet tight to the floor this time. fatass!
--
Steve Barker
In wrote:

Why a "fatass" claim? What he said was right. You post was a waste of time and ether.
On 1/21/2012 11:37 AM, Twayne wrote:

large people using them. It's just a simple fact.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:50:27 -0600, Steve Barker

As you are wont to say --- CITE???
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:37:43 -0600, Steve Barker

becoming available for a good reason. The new stuff works. Better than the wax ring. I think this is a good forum to discuss these new innovations on. You don't still drive on steel wheels and drag a stick to stop, or wipe your ass with your left thumb, do you????
On 1/21/2012 3:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

no, no and no. But the steel wheels do have their advantages on tractors. The farmers in force when the rubber came along thought it was a pussified stupid idea. The steel ones still have better traction. And the was ring still works fine and lasts forever as long as the toilet does not rock like a rocking horse.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:07:11 -0600, Steve Barker

I never had a wax ring leak. But the first time I do I'll use the new seals. There's no guarantee a wax ring will work even if the toilet doesn't rock. Tile work, etc, Just use what works. Not a big deal.
--Vic
On 1/21/2012 5:07 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Wax rings seemed to go bad in old mobile homes a lot. I think if they are left closed up for a few hot sunny days, it gets so hot inside that the wax softens, it doesn't quite melt, but it gets soft enough to sag and loose it's seal. That's just my guess why they go bad, I know the floors were solid and the toilet didn't wobble.

Steel does not have better treaction than rubber. If it did you would for sure see it being used at tractor pulls. I doubt if you can even buy new steel wheels for tractors these days.
Harry K
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:19:02 -0800 (PST), Harry K

traction than rubber, but in the VAST MAJORITY of situations one would encounter with a farm tractor, rubber wins hands down.
However, I was not talking tractors. I was talking basic transportation. Yes, some of the very conservative Amish sects still run on iron tires on their buggies - where traction is not an issue - and a few still run with steel wheels on tractors - believe it or not..
Most of the world has progressed though, to using rubber tires (and even air filled), use friction brakes to stop, and use toilet paper to wipe their hiney.
Progress happens.

as well, and they REALLY work. Unless the sewer backs up it is virtually impossible for water to leak out - even if sewer gas could get out.

I ordered the Sani-seal a couple days ago and got it yesterday. No leaks yet, but time will tell. This product is very user friendly, easy to install and looks like it will do the job. As of now, I highly suggest it instead of the wax ring.
Hank

I can't speak to the "sani - seal" but I have used a 'waxless toilet seal', don't recall the brand name. Greatest invention since sliced bread. Pull and replace toilet without changing it, no scraping cruddy wax, no residue left on floor when toilet is pulled, etc. I don't know why anyone would use the wax ones except in cases such as Oren mentioned.
Harry K

After going to Home Depot, Lowes, and the local hardware and plumbing supply stores, except for Lowes, no one in my area (Central Ohio), had anything other than the wax ring. They had tons of those. Lowes carried one waxless type but I didn't like the way it worked. Maybe the price is why, I don't know. Just seemed strange to me that even the plumbing supply stores had nevedr even heard of waxless rings.
Hank <~~~~~ going waxless from now on
Hank

them, Mark's Supply (big wholesaler) carries them. One-Stop Plumbing carries them -----------.
On 1/21/2012 11:36 AM, Hank wrote:

A $10 gasket for one that does the same thing for $1? Oh well. I've been able to get a wax gasket to work even on bumpy floors. I always have shims on hand though. Trick is to attach the gasket to the toilet first and don't rock the toilet. I seat the gasket then use a level and shims to finish the job.

You're welcome. My original intent was to find someone who has used this specific product. Since I didn't find them here, I thought I would try it anyway. At the rsik of jinxing myself, it seems to be working fine and very forgiving in the install.
Hank