Toilet Valve Repair

American Standard toilet flush valve. I have a new plunger valve (the valve that regulates the flow of water into the tank.) It came with a new seat that installs with an allen wrench but I can't get the old seat out. It has a round inside so an allen wrench won't work to unscrew it. Does someone know the secret to get it out? And if I get it out will the new one screw in? Thanks.

Replace it with a FluidMaster (code approved model) for about $8 and your problems will be solved.
The replacement washers are a snap to install with no tools for $1-2 each depending on where you buy them.
Colbyt

But I don't want a FluidMaster. I prefer to do a simple repair for this one and not send it to landfill. Ed
But I don't want a FluidMaster. I prefer to do a simple repair for this one and not send it to landfill.
It is 1900 technology. Move into the next century.
The horse and buggy has been replaced and this old style device should be also.
Ed wrote:

Can you cut it off????
--
"You can lead them to LINUX