Toilet tank/reservoir mold / mildew problem

I have a rental house which just became vacant. I notice in the toilet tanks, there is a mold / mildew problem. I'm not sure why since the house a/c works fine. Anyway, what is the best way to clean this inside the tank? I'm thinking of spraying bleach but I'm a little afraid if that will hurt the plastic guts or rubber seals inside the tank. Suggestions? Also any idea how to prevent this from happening again over time?

Reply to
Observer

I would pour a cup or two of bleach into the tank and scrub the inside with the toilet brush. It should keep the mildew down for quite a while. Mildew is probably as likely to erode the rubber seals as bleach might; I wouldn't worry about it. If it is only a very light amount of mildew, I probably wouldn't bother...I've never noticed mildew in my toilet tank.

Reply to
norminn

I've found a combination of liquid bleach, hydrogen peroxide, oxi powder and baking powder has gotten mold and mildew out of the pots that are installed in the toilet trailers that I lease out to workcamps for yearly durations. You never know how those bad boys come back. Sometimes gawd awful.

Reply to
ttshell