Toilet Tank, Meet Toilet Bowl...

Quick question for the excellent folks here... I have a toilet bowl (American Standard Champion 4) installed correctly, on a level floor, am ready to attach the tank (Champion 4 Skyline, an appropriate match as per the specs). I attach the gasket and then put the tank on the bowl, lining up the two bolts... The instructions state fairly clearly that I should tighten these until the bottom of the tank comes to rest against the support "ribs" that run along the front and back lines of the tank. And of course I should not tighten any more than is necessary to correctly seat the tank. So far, so good. Well, here's the problem... When I put the tank down on the bowl, it is leaning forward, to the extent that the tank is already touching the front rib, and a full inch above the back rib. (I mentioned that it's the right tank for the bowl, and that the bowl is perfectly level, right?) I can try to rock the tank back a bit as I tighten the bolts, but even if I tighten WAY TOO MUCH, I'm still not getting the tank anywhere near level. I say "WAY TOO MUCH" here because I've already SHATTERED one tank attempting to attach it. No fun, and I'm sure a great affront to every home repairman in this group. I'm really not a total idiot, I promise. But I'm on the second tank here, and I'd really like to avoid the same problem again...

Any suggestions very much appreciated! Sincere thanks, SH

Reply to
SH

On 8/6/2008 5:35 PM SH spake thus:

[...]

Not a plumber here, but having done just what you're doing (attaching a tank to a bowl) not too long ago, I'm just wondering: are you sure the rubber seal is installed correctly? Seems like that could be causing the severe tilting you're experiencing.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Fair question, but yes, the gasket is evenly and securely attached. I'll be calling American Standard today, was asking here in case someone else had run into the same problem...

Thanks, SH

Reply to
SH

I will tell you that I've found the secret to installing a tank to a bowl is to push down on the tank while you hand tighten the nut. Do it evenly both sides and when you are done the tank is tight with no tools.

Fair question, but yes, the gasket is evenly and securely attached. I'll be calling American Standard today, was asking here in case someone else had run into the same problem...

Thanks, SH

Reply to
Art

Art,

Perfect. I actually sat on top of the tank to maintain the downward pressure (and to keep the stupid thing straight), while my wife tightened the bolts.

(American Standard was no big help, I'm afraid. Good thing people here on the board know what they're talking about!)

Many thanks,

SH

Reply to
SH

I had the same problem witha Cadet 3 (American Standard). I went back to Lowes and the guy there told me to kkep tightening, even though I heard the crackling. I posted here, and the answers I got were to ignore the Lowes guy (I did, without being told). What I ended up doing was re-seating the gasket. I am guessing that you have the same massive foam gasket I did, rather than solid rubber. I made the mistake of putting the gasket too far back in order to clear the ribs on the bowl mentioned in the instructions. I re-seated it so that it came to the front of the tank, then re-tightened. The tank straightened out automatically.

Reply to
celticsoc