Toilet Tank Leaks When I Lean Back

I just installed a brand new American Standard Champion in my downstairs bathroom. I was congratulating myself on an excellent watertight installation on the first try but I find I'm perhaps a little premature.

While the tank to toilet seal is perfect normally, if I'm sitting on the throne and lean back a bit while reading, I'm finding the seal between the tank and the toilet is being broken slightly. It's not a gullywasher... just a slow drip, drip, drip from both sides. Looking behind the tank, I find there's a good couple of inches of free space between the tank and the wall. Looking inside the tank, there's just the two bolts that would resist side to side movement but don't do a thing to prevent backward motion.

Before I crank the bolts down unnecessarily, the thought occurs to me to stick some sort of spacer behind the tank to stop the backward movement and prevent further leaks. How is this problem usually handled?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Either the way you propose or by adding some silicone caulk to both ceramic surfaces contacting the gasket when installing or reinstalling it. Poisanally, I'd go for both.

Definitely NOT by trying to tighten the two tank to bowl fasteners, that's a sure way to crack something.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Do NOT put the spacer behind the tank. When you lean back or, worse, if someone slams the seat up against the tank lid, all that force will be transmitted *thru* the tank to the wall.

A spacer is a great idea. Put it between the back of the tank *cover* and the wall. All it needs is a bit of adhesive. Finish it off nicely and it will look like it belongs there.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What I have just tried is to put a piece of foam material between the tank and the wall. The piece is about 6" X 12" and is 3" thick. Does this seem like a reasonable solution? I would think the foam would tend to prevent damage to either the wall or the tank while providing some support. It can't be seen by anyone not specifically looking for it so it appears to be the perfect solution.

What I can't understand is why don't the manufacturers give these tanks a more positive way to interlock? Another thought is could I possibly have installed the rubber ring between the tank and toilet upside down so that the tank sits too high now? I'd rather find out ahead of time before I go to all the trouble of removing the tank just to find out it can only go in one way.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You're supposed to be taking a crap, not a nap. Why are you leaning on the cistern at all?

Reply to
Goedjn

Why does a dog lick his balls? Because he can.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:eM6dnWOFMeWKIrPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

LOL, good one.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Goedjn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Discovered x-wife was doing that. Told her it's a toilet not a recliner. If ya wanna lean back and crap then put on a Depends and go sit in the recliner.

Throughout the years we had all kinds of sex...kitchen sex, bathroom sex, car sex, dining room sex. At the end we had frequent hall sex. That's where we stood in the hallway and yelled f-you to each other.

Gee I wonder why she's the "ex" huh?

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:J8WdneqGCJ5dN7PYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Is it you have no knees or no elbows?

Seriously, they're just not designed for that.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You have to admit a can you could recline on sounds appealing. Maybe one of those crappers for the 1000 pound + crowd would give him some more room.

Reply to
cas

Don't lean back...

Reply to
indago
061012 1818 - Mortimer Schnerd, RN posted:

Reminds me of the story of the two drunks who staggered out of the bar one night and staggered over to a lamp post to hold them up, laughing at each other's stupidity. A little ways away there was a dog by the curb licking his balls. One drunk said: "I wish I could do that." The other told him: "Well, if you pet 'im real nice, maybe he'll let you."

Reply to
indago

"cas" wrote in news:1160693981.471477.275330 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Could put flyers & discount coupons for them in cases of wax gaskets...

Reply to
Al Bundy

Although you could easily put in a standpipe and an overhead tank, and then build a rail in front of it to lean on.

Reply to
Goedjn

By not leaning back.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Thank you. You've been very helpful.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I know it is a bit late for this, but I made sure in my house to only buy one-piece toilets. They cost me $130 for each at Home Depot and work very nicely. I had so many problems with the old two-piece toilets that I wasn't going to mess with it when I redid the bathrooms. Haven't had a leak problem with them at all.

Good luck!

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Goedjn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Welcome to "Pimp My Crapper".

Hey! Not so far fetched! Show on the other night I never saw - The Junk Brothers. They Pimped a stove and made it a BBQ. Had flame decals and all.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Well after reading this post.....way too funny :-) Thx I needed that.

But a little insight.........I hope you keep that toilet seat cover very clean, or else without realizing it, you could be walking away from your nap with little brown spots on your back. Good day.

Reply to
avid_hiker

Your solutions

  1. Go on a diet
  2. Read somewhere else
  3. Remove the bolts and apply some silicone sealer to the rubber washers and reinstall them. Dont over-tighten.
  4. A spacer might help.

Reply to
emailaddress