Toilet-tank leak? ? ?

Page 1 of 2
An odd problem: Our toilet-tank has developed a leak which seems to come from noshre. From observation the slow drip seems to be coming through the porcelain itself, although there are no cracks are holes that can be seen.
It most certainly doesn't come from a pipe, because the area all around the bulls-eye of the leak remains completely dry.
Is this possible that the water could be seeping through a porous procelain?
If so, would smearing the area with caulking compound, inside and out, stop the leak?

How old is the toilet? Usually what goes are the seals around the tank water output to the bottom assembly and the seals around screws holding them together. Replace the seals; if that doesn't help, replace the whole toilet. It just isn't worth putting any more effort into it when a new toilet can be had for $130 complete.

The big box stores are now selling the 2 pieces separately..if its a "normal" color, you can just buy the tank & Git 'er Done

By the time it's leaking like that, you probably have a toilet old enough to have a tank three times larger than what is legally available.
Since posting I found the source -- a hairline crack in the tank.
Is that something I can seal with caulking, or should I replace the whole thing?

Maybe use epoxy injection? Maybe you can use a plastic liner, glued in place with holes for the water supply, tank bolts, and water outlet and thus achive a complete kluge?
Just replace the damn thing. Is your time worth nothing?

If you can find some water glass you can make a permanent repair by just sloshing it on the inside and brushing on more carefully on the outside. It's quite invisible. I have a tank that took a major league crack 20 yrs ago and sealed it thusly. If it was a normal color that I could match to the tub and sink I probably would have replaced it, but it's a Rheem fixture and not made anymore. It's a rather unique color, too. Fixing it was my preference.
I would think you'd also have good luck with something like gorilla glue on the inside only. I don't know where you'd find water glass these days, but if there's an old-line farmer's type hardware store around your area, that would be a good bet. I'm sure you can find it by googling either 'water glass' or 'potassium silicate'. Maybe just ask a plumber.
Keith

If you dry the tank out very well, you could try rubbing epoxy into the crack, especially from the inside. Squeeze it in by rubbing over it with your finger, then leave a layer over the crack in addition. Sand the surface lightly first.
If the cracked area shows, rub the epoxy in from the outside, but then wipe it off show it doesn't show. Otherwise, leave a layer there also.

And wrap the whole thing in a bunch of rope to hold it together when the crack spreads.
Ray wrote:

Uh, no. Porcelain is not porous. Think coffee cup.

There are only two possibilities (absent a crack). Where the water supply enters the tank and where the water drains from the reservoir into the bowl.
My money's on the latter.

and the seals around the screws that hold tank to base.
Or a crack especially if the screws have been overtightened.
If its humid in your house, and the water entering your tank is cold, it will condensate which will eventually leak on the floor. A good way to test is let the water in the tank get up to room temperature or pour a little warm water in the tank.

Winning answer!
http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=609&brandid =

Scratch the latter on a tank-n-bowl one piece toilet.

With the onset of warmer weather, are you sure this isn't just condensation sweating on the outside caused by the cold water filling the tank?

it is not leaking through the porcelin, please describe the area that the leak is visable
wrote:

it is not leaking through the porcelin, please describe the area that the leak is visable
Ray wrote:

You may be able to stop the leak temporarily but if it is cracked it is liable to fail catastrophically w/o warning in which case you have a big problem--particularly if it happened to be while the house is deserted for a full day at work, etc., ...
Replace it.

Best answer given.
"liable to fail catastrophically" just my luck is when, well you know! I'm sitting down one the job.
Oren wrote:

No........catastrophically is when nobody is home and the house is flooded. BTDT.