Toilet tank help!!

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts". While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Reply to
necountrygrl

probably not toilets arent that expensive but flods are.....

your far better off to use a sawzall to cut off those bolts.

you could try using silicone bathtub caulk on the broken area, but its really not a good idea

Reply to
bob haller

I'd not trust a repair. It could last years, or it could start flooding as son as you go to bet tonight.

Consider a comfort height toilet. Especially if you are over 50 or have arthritis.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe paint some of the mixed liquid onto the surface you want the epoxy to stick to before you spread the epoxy with a putty knife. I'm thinking that would result in a better bond.

Reply to
nestork

Get a new toilet. I recommend the American Standard Cadet 3 series.

1.28 GPF and the FloWise flush system. Just about impossible to clog. I've had 2 of the $138 models for a couple of years now and haven't used the plunger once. I'm not even sure where it is.

You don't have spend extra for the dual flush model. On the single flush models, if you push the handle down quickly it will dump enough water from the tank to flush liquids. Hold it down a little longer for a full flush.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, Sorry to hear that. Just to have peace of mind, I'd just replace the whole with new one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can glue it back together by cleaning off the surfaces really well and using epoxy glue. If you use the fast-cure stuff (5 minutes or less), be sure to mix the epoxy very thoroughly, and if it's fast-cure epoxy (5 minutes or less), be sure the proportions of resin and hardener are almost exactly 50/50 or it will never cure. Slow-cure epoxy (30 minutes or more) give you more leeway with the proportions, but you still want to mix very thoroughly. If you still have the broken-off pieces you can use regular epoxy, but if big chunks of porcelain are gone you'll need epoxy putty. Also it wouldn't hurt to use really big washers on that bolt, both inside and outside, and isolate them from the porcelain with rubber washers (you'll probably have to make your own washers out of a piece of rubber), to reduce stress. Want to do a really good repair? Reinforce the cracked areas, inside and out, with pieces of fiberglass cloth and soak it with epoxy.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Unless this toilet is on the lowest floor, with only dirt underneath the bathroom floor, as cheap as I am, I'd still buy a new tank or a new toilet. (and new bolts and nuts to attach the tank to the existing bowl)

I don' tthink they stock tanks at big box stores, and using their catalog seems unreliable -- hard to tell if it's the same or not, if it fits or not -- but a real plumbing supply store will, if you bring your tank with you, and the brand and model if it says. andif your toilet isn't very old or imported or something, likely have a tank that's just like yours or will fit. Are plumbing supplies stores cheaper or more expensive than HD, for example? HD has a wide range of toilet tank prices.

Don't get a fancy imported toilet. My brother's wife did and it never had high enough water and got dirty all the time

(Guys, could I have adjusted that??)

I haven't had to remove a tank yet, and I've wondered if I could get one off without breaking something.

Reply to
micky

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 02:44:02 +0000, necountrygrl wrote in

I would replace it if it was mine. A crack in porcelain can easily start to propagate for no apparent reason. It might happen in a few minutes or it might never happen. But if it does happen it will probably lead to a leaking bowl or tank. I wouldn't chance it.

If cost is a problem, you can get an inexpensive one like this

Reply to
CRNG

My wife says I am cheaper than anyone else she knows, but I would definitely replace the toilet. A flood will cause more damage than the cost of a new toilet.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A that's the bowl only at 133 when she needs the tank. B there was a whole toilet at only 78 dolllars

|0
Is there any reason not to buy glacier bay? Others by them almost as cheap.

In addition grl, if you live in a city the size of Baltimore or more, ther may well be a store that recycles building supplies, from houses that are torn down. It's called Second Chance here, but I don't think that is a chain. A lot of that is fancy features that are 100 years old but it also includes relatively new (newer than mine) kitchen appliances, cabinets and bathroom toilets. Also, the group that fixes up old houses for poor people, that Jimmy Carter, ugh, is associated with, gets donations of new stuff from buiding supply companies and I think that includes toilets and they have stores in various cities, Ft Lauderdale was one, and you don't have to be poor to shop at the stores.

Reply to
micky