Toilet tank, bowl compatibility? ? ?

I have a Celite toilet of fairly recent vintage, and the tank has a hair-line crack which can't be sealed with calk or epoxy

I gather from the Internet that Celite is made in Brazil and is considered a high-end product. But in can't find any place in my fairly large city to get a Celite tank.

Question: Is another brand of tank compatible with the Celite bowl, so long as the bolt-holes match?

Reply to
Ray

You may only find them in Avocado green color. I'm not sure.

Is a new toilet impossible?

Reply to
Oren

Color compatibility is no problem -- solid white.

I'm just trying to avoid having to install the whole shebang if possible. I think that's a little tricky.

But in the end I probably will install a solid-state new toilet. That seems to be the standard these days.

Reply to
Ray

The bolt holes should not be much of an issue, since typically they are slotted. You may be concerned about getting a replacement that has a slightly larger footprint, otherwise your flooring may show an ugly gap.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not at all.

Turn the water supply off; disconnect the line. Flush it to empty the tank. Towel out the remaining water in the bowl. Remote two nuts at base. Lift, and carry to trash being careful not to tip it and let internal remaining water out.

Scrape out wax of wax ring. I use a big screwdriver and scrape that onto a plastic bag. Don't touch it, it's nasty stuff.

Insert new mountain bolts. Put wax ring onto base. Lower base into place. Sit on it to seat it. Tighten base bolts. Install caps. Bolts might have to be hacksawed to allow caps to fit.

Install tank.

I've done three so far; first time took 90 minutes. Last one took 40 minutes.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Toilet replacement is actually easy.

Just make sure you measure the "setback" and buy a new one with the same setback. Measure from the wall to the center of the bolts (Setback is actually the distance from the wall to the center of the drain opening, but the bolts are almost always centered on the flange.

Standard setbacks are 10", 12", and 14".

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Thanks -- I might give it a try.

Reply to
Ray

I'm not familiar with a solid-state unit. The space station gets a new crapper recently.

You need a new shebang unit; no question about it!

Reply to
Oren

It's rather quite easy. Removing the old wax ring is the worst part and all that one has to do is have a large screwdriver to scrape it out and then wipe it off on the inside of a plastic bag.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Find a toilet you like and put in a new one. Get one that doesn't require multiple flushes for the "big ones".

Shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours to rip out old and put in the new.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl