Toilet sometimes runs

This is driving me nuts. Sometimes the toilet (low-flow Vitra) runs, and sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pushing the handle down different ways -- fast, slow -- but can't isolate that as a factor.

Now I'm leaving the lid off, which doesn't look so great on the bathroom floor, just so I can monitor what happens on each flush.

Since I''m not handy, would any of Our Gurus have a suggestion?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Inspect the flapper valve and the chain that connects it to the operating lever. After a year or more's use either can develop rough edges that impede efficient operation.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Call a pro, and pay through the nose. Or find a friend who can do this. I can take the tank off a toilet, install a new flapper, inflow valve, and bowl gasket in about half an hour. But, if you are not handy, and haven't done at least a dozen, there are all sorts of cans of worms that can be opened. I've done at least two dozen. No biggie if everything goes right, and that doesn't happen often. The kit is about $20, and get the full kit. If you don't change everything, you'll be in there again in a couple of weeks replacing what you didn't replace this time. If you know someone who can teach you, it isn't rocket surgery.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In order of steps:

Remove the flapper and clean the flapper and flapper seat.

If that doesn't work, replace the flapper.

If that doesn't work, replace the flapper seat.

1 and 2 are easy. #3 is a bit more complicated.

The food color is a good way to tell if it's leaking.

They also have whole new assemblies that include the flapper and the fill mechanism which include a lockout mechanism. The lockout will prevent the tank from refilling if water is lost gradually. For it to refill, the handle must be activated. I've only recently seen these and they are pretty cool. With them you know if the toilet is leaking because you'll find the tank empty when you go to flush it.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
Michael B

call 0jr. see if he will fix it for you.

must be a smart toilet if it runs from you.

Reply to
UncleTombama

I think in all the toilets I've seen the rotational play in the flush handle is governed only by the slack in the chain. May not be true in all, but no question that's how it works in many. The flush lever is just an arm with no stop.

Reply to
trader4

Two rather remote possibilities but I have had both problems:

  1. Lift chain occasionally gets sorta caught on the end of the flush arm takes all the slack out and ball doesn't fully seat. I cured that by hanging a fish weight on the chain.

  1. Wife can't flush the toilet right. My new TOTO Drake did that. It wouldn't seat all the way if she held the flush handle while it flushed. Why did she do that? Who knows. It took me 6 months of demonstrations, coaxing, yelling etc before she was convinced _she_ was the problem and not the toilet.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Tx Harry. What's driving me up the wall, as I originally posted, is why the ball sometimes seats perfectly, and sometimes doesn't I tried tracking it by the way I work the flush arm (fast, slow, abrupt, gradual) but there seems to be no correlation. I'll try hanging something on the chain & see if that makes a difference.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It is a remote chance but worthe checking.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K