Toilet setback?

Page 1 of 2
If I want to move a toilet a few inches to the rear, toward the back wall of the bathroom in a slab-floor home, is there some kind of offset I can use that doesn't necessitate the use of a jackhammer? I seem to recall a 1 or 2-inch tall offset for toilets being available that simply routes waste a few inches over. It simply bolts over the existing pipe flange, if I recall.
But I can't find anyone who knows what I'm talking about or where to buy such a gadget.
Ideas?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
DaveC wrote:

GOOGLE:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=offset+toilet+flange
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:36:04 -0700, Speedy Jim wrote

GOOGLE IS NOT THE ANSWER TO EVERY USENET QUESTION.     If you would have bothered to read your own google results, you would see that these hits all talk about replacing the toilet flange (ie, jackhammering).
Please, if you're going to give GOOGLE as an answer, review the results to see if they're at all applicable to the question before posting.
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
DaveC wrote:

Oh, I do browse the results. One hit in fact describes a slip-in flange that works with 3" PVC.
Jim

This was also found on one of your hits, Jim.
"Always install the center of the flange 12 inches from where the finished wall surface is projected to be. Never just measure from the edge of the rough wall framing. This screw-up is so common that toilet manufacturers make special bowls to compensate: a 10-inch rough-in bowl if the flange is too close, a 14-inch if it's too far away."
Ralph
Dave,
I looked at a few of the googled sites and based on your post Speedy Jim seems to have supplied you with an answer. Have the courtesy to indicate what it is that makes his answer inapplicable.
Dave M.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:42:43 GMT, "David Martel"

IMO Speedy Jim is one of the BEST, if not 'THE' best, most concise posters in this group. I've never seen him advise about things he's not knowledgeable about.
AND he's most always right. (I say most because I can't claim he is 'always').
A top notch plumber I'd guess. never condescending either. Giving out free advice whilst there are so many wantabe's telling you how 'they once saw their' brother do it. Speedy is a professional.
If I wore a hat, Jim it'd be off to you.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:33:57 -0700, 3rd eye wrote

I'm not questioning Jim's qualifications. Listening to others in this forum, I accept that he's one of the best.
It is exactly this kind of experience, knowledge, and guidance I was hoping to gain from him. Being given a "go google" does not give me any of the above.
I hope you can all see the difference.
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
DaveC wrote:

You're right, Dave; a forum is the expression of many ideas and nobody always has the "right" answer. That's what makes Usenet so valuable.
IIRC "This Old House" did a "move the toilet" job within the last year and it involved putting the bowl up on a raised base so that the offset "device" could be used. Find the This Old House site and there should be an article about it.
If raising the bowl up is not an option, then you're stuck with replacing the flange. How that gets done depends on what the floor is made of and what pipe material, lots and lots of variables.
As someone else noted, you can get a 14" rough-in toilet. Figure on $200-300 cuz they're special.
Or.....build a fancy wooden/acrylic "shelf" to fit behind the tank lid. Often that can make it look like it was designed that way as part of the room and makes a pleasing effect.
Jim

News flash! Screwy home owner fix it jobs like this are spotted immediatly by even most unsavy home buyers. Often making it almost impossible to ever sell the home. Why is it people that would never mess with a $30,000 car have no problem completely botching a $100,000 house?
AndrewJ wrote:

That, I suppose, could be true. Assuming this were visible AND ugly, which it isn't necessarily.

That, however, beggars belief. What on earth would be the impediment? Perhaps the new owners would like to redo the bathroom entirely anyway, in which case spending a few extra bucks to move the toilet back isn't a big deal.
I can't think of a single home that I know that hasn't been altered in *some* way without the assistance of a professional.

I guess we have different definitions for "botch".
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:53:12 -0700, Dan Hartung wrote

I tune up my car regularly. : -) I also rewired my previous home and do electrical work for a non-profit organization's office building.
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
Incorrect attribution. The following was not written by Dan, but by Andrew:

--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

In 18 years in the business I havn't met a single homeowner that should be installing an offset flange in their home. It can hurt flushing which is poor allready if it's a low-flush toilet. If it isn't mounted correctly the toilet will shift. That leads to leaks that at best are smelly. Get that slab soaked with waste and it will hurt resale.

And in 40 years as a homeowner, I haven't met a professional who would do the job right. You can dump on the homeowners all day long, but the only way we'll get a decent job done is to tough it out and do it ourselves.
Bob
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:06:56 GMT, "rck"

"Get that slab soaked with waste and it will hurt resale." ever hear of bleach and water?
i have yet to meet a decent *so called* professional yet, myself.
but in defense of the *real* professional, i go with mid range estimates. there is always something to pick on. you get what you pay for.
to the OP. Home Depot has offsets, go to a plumbing supply, they have offsets. in any case your going to have to break up the floor some what to set it in place. try the offset first, you can always brake up more cement later on.
for a stinking (pun) 1 or 2 inches, you must be a perfectionist.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:26:59 -0700, mg wrote

Above-ground offsets? I've asked HD. They didn't have any idea how to do this. I'll try a plumbing supply house next. Thought I'd ask here first to get a discussion with pros, before going there.

No, just a *very* small bathroom, in which every inch helps.
--
Please, no Google links. I wouldn't ask a
question here if I hadn't done that already.

I myself am an advocate of Search engines. i might have found what your looking for? let me know. above ground off sets?
below ground, there would be no need for a *Toilet flange offset" and HD does have them, if that what your looking for.
key words. "toilet flange", offset, plumbing supply http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/bath/projects/remod_w1/toilet/new_1/flange_offset.htm
i briefly read the page. i would use cement to close off the opening. as you are working on a slab. drill holes so you can anchor the flange. for the fresh cement insert a wood dowel and then drill it out to insert the anchors / to hold down/mount the flange.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:05:40 -0700, mg wrote

Same reference given by Bob K in this thread.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this page shows opening the floor to use this flange. I want to avoid this solution, if possible. Are you saying that it is possible to use this flange and *not* open the floor?
--
Please, no Google links. I wouldn't ask a
question here if I hadn't done that already.

you didn't explain clearly what your objective was. sorry, your fault.
just stated you didn't want to use a jack hammer and were looking for toilet off set.
Jackhammers are not used when a cold chisel will suffice.
a toilet off set is a toilet off set. is just that, a toilet offset.
that's what you asked for. sorry again, your fa
yes you are missing something. it called your cake and wanting to eat it too.
anyway if its all pvc. use the flange like the one on the link provide above, place a coupling of some sort ( you figure it out) to the new flange . float a new pad of cement around that.
going to look like hell, but it's your home.