toilet run time

We have a Kohler toilet that recently started taking a long time to flush. After a flush, the water seems to continue running (filling the tank) for literally several minutes.During this time, there is some water continuing to come into the bowl (not a lot, but enough to make ripples in the bowl). Eventually the toilet does stop running and does not run again (doesn't appear to be a leak). Anything that would suddenly cause a toilet to run like this? It's fairly new (3 years or less).

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Upon further inspection, it was the float was allowing the tank to overflow with too much water (water was flowing into the overflow tube. I adjusted the float to stop the water right at the fill line in the toilet, now the problem is, the flush seems to stop too early. The bowl empties out with decent pressure, but does not fill back up to a normal level (about 1/2 to 1/3 what I think it should be). It appears the flap in the toilet is closing early cutting off flow to the toilet. What controls how much water ends up in the bowl after a flush? The tank only about half empties now on a flush before the flap comes down. Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Damn.... Please disregard my last post. I figured it out. I did not have the refill tube going into the overflow pipe in the tank. :( You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm learning a lot of this as I go along.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

I had this in a former home. It started out taking about 5 minutes to fill the tank and then went up to about 10 minutes. Drove me crazy, especially at night. Plumber found that there was an obstruction in the feed pipe. He took a contraption and blew back down the line and that did the trick. Had a perfect flow and fill after that.

Reply to
JerryL

We all are!! Cheers!

Reply to
Rich

Yep, bad flapper or seat.

Could also be over filling, and going down the overflow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon