Toilet "Rough-In" measurement

This is a stupid question but I forgot the answer. Is the toilet "rough-in" measured from the wall to the hold down bolts or from the wall to the back of the toilet base? I think it's the former but just want to make sure.
Thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's the hold down bolts and it's 12". Anyone else?
I think the uniform construction code or the plumbing code requires a 30" space for a toilet, between finished surfaces, which would put the waste pipe 15" on center. Not sure how far to put the waste pipe in front of the wall.

http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/19980202 confirms that.
Rough-in from the wall is standard in US today at 12". In the distant past, RI's of 10" and 14" were also common.
Jim

This is the correct response!
Colbyt
I've got 2 14's. Lotsa room! Thanks.
Dave

What's the uniform construction code?

You are correct-center of the flange (same thing) and 12"
15" from side walls...
Thanks guys. One of the reasons I asked was at another house the rough in was 10" and I had a heck of a time finding a toilet.
Dave

Dave,

The most common rough-in distance is 12" from the "FINISHED" wall surface. I made the mistake of measuring 12" from the bare studs.
This wasn't a problem in our main bath, as there was still adequate room behind the toilet for the 1/2" sheetrock.
However, we used T&G pine boards in our master bath that were 3/4" thick. The toilet still fit, but the tank lid sits right up against the wall.
Anything more than that (two layers of sheetrock for instance), and the toilet may not have fit.
We lucked out, but if this is a new installation, be sure to factor in the thickness of the finished wall surface when you are making your measurements!
Anthony
Rough it in at 8" and you can build the wall around the tank.... Would look cool, NO TANK

deferent centers. The measurement is usually from the finish wall to center of waste pipe ( that would be the same as hold down bolts) So check what the spec's are for your Water closet.