Toilet roll holder: how high, how far?

Page 2 of 2

Ajanta wrote:

Yes. I think the group has been (t)rolled. Nice.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I don't think there is any "rule" for this, it's mostly a matter of preference, ease of access, and available mounting locations.
Too far back and a larger person will have to twist around to access the toilet paper.
Too low, too high, or too far forward, and small children may not be able to reach the paper without leaning or stretching.
It also depends on how cramped the area around the toilet is. You don't want to be bumping into the toilet paper roll as you're sitting down or standing up. And, you don't want to be bumping it with your elbows while you're reading a magazine or something. :)
Also consider the closer the roll is to the toilet, the more likely it will absorb "splatter" and "splashing" from the males of the species...
In any case, the holder in our main bath is mounted to the side of the lavatory cabinet, and is centered about 18" from the back wall, and 24" from the floor. The holder in our master bath is mounted on a side wall, 36" from the back wall, and 32" from the floor. Both are quite accessable and comfortable, so you can see there is a lot of flexibility in the mounting location.
Sit down on the seat, and hold the roll where you think it is comfortable. Then have one or two other family members do the same thing. Pick a spot somewhere in the middle of those locations and screw it to the wall.
Anthony

Thats easy........ Stand directly in front of your toilet. Place your ass against the wall. Let out a nice size turd and let it smear on the wall. That's where you put the holder (in the shitty spot). This is the reason the human body was designed the way it is. It's all about placement of the toilet paper holder. I know this sounds silly, but this is what God intended us to do when we install a TP holder, thus it's a religious thing and needs to be taken very seriously. This was documented in the original Hebrew version of the bible, but it was removed when converted to English because the ultra conservative republicans found it offensive. Either way, this is SERIOUS.....
Ajanta wrote:

Mine is 22 3/8" from the floor to the center of the roll and 12 3/4" from the edge of the toilet seat to the center of the roll. No one has ever complained.
Thanks to everyone who responded. Now, as for the most common advice offered here, I did know that I can install it wherever I want. :)
Basically, I was puzzled that this being a common question faced in every bathroom, why isn't there one standard, in particular why instituional and reseidential builders have come to such different conclusions...The answer probably is government regulations...
Ajanta wrote:

Keep in mind that these newsgroups are consumer/repair oriented and not design oriented. You might get some better information if you were to post the question on alt.architecture, for instance.

Give us a break.
Bob
: Give us a break.
Try growing up a little. Nobody owes you a "break" here. This is a public forum. People post what they like, not what you might like. It is your job to select what you read and what you don't.

You sure take offense easily. The guy made a joke and I responded to it. What's your problem?
Bob
: > : Give us a break. : > : > Try growing up a little. Nobody owes you a "break" here. This is a : > public forum. People post what they like, not what you might like. It : > is your job to select what you read and what you don't. : : You sure take offense easily. The guy made a joke and I responded to it. : What's your problem?
Maybe spending too much time reading Usenet posts. By coincidence I had read several posts where people asked others not to post this or that, instead of themselves selecting what they want to read. My apologies if all of you were joking; without smilies, I can't tell. :)