Toilet roll holder: how high, how far?

You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because then you have to bend down to get the paper.

Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be used by many friends and family, young and old.

Any opinions?

Reply to
Ajanta

Ours was mounted on the wall by the builder/plumber. When you sit on the "john" you should be able to reach it whether you are right or left handed.

One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to the left of it.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

: One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to : the left of it.

We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet bowl is best location for most people?

I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works best in everyone's opinion here?

Reply to
Ajanta

Wherever you like it. Mine is 30" high and about 8" in front of the toilet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are no majic numbers. The difference you observe between institutional and private mounting heights probably results from accessibility standards applied to institutional situations. Many residential situations don't have the ubobstructed surface of a stall partition, and so are mounted helter skelter.

Have you considered reaching for an imagined roll a couple of times and using the resulting "landing zone" as your mounting arrangement?

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Put it out next to the driveway.

Reply to
Me

Take a seat on the toilet and think about it. If you are still without an answer reach out with both hands and decide which one is close to a wall that is most convenient. That's that spot. Who cares where they put it in a commercial application.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What is this "toilet paper" you speak of?

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Reply to
buffalobill

My grandpa always had a tub of yellow and white corn sitting next to thr john and you shelled it to get the cob. First the yellow and then white to check you wiped clean. That way the chickens aways had shelled corn on hand.

Reply to
Jack

If you're conflicted, don't mount the TP dispenser on the wall. Little racks are available that allow the, um, user to move the dispenser to any location. This has the added benefit of easily taking the whole roll to an area where TP is needed in an urgent situation (an extreme chick-flik movie in the family room, a beloved pet's "accident" in the hallway, or to celebrate the team's homecoming victory in the yard).

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. I think the group has been (t)rolled. Nice.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You don't want the best height for most people. You want someplace a 2-year old can reach.

If you then have an adult who's too crippled to reach that, then mount a second holder. It's not like having a second roll available is going to be a bad thing.

Reply to
Goedjn

I don't think there is any "rule" for this, it's mostly a matter of preference, ease of access, and available mounting locations.

Too far back and a larger person will have to twist around to access the toilet paper.

Too low, too high, or too far forward, and small children may not be able to reach the paper without leaning or stretching.

It also depends on how cramped the area around the toilet is. You don't want to be bumping into the toilet paper roll as you're sitting down or standing up. And, you don't want to be bumping it with your elbows while you're reading a magazine or something. :)

Also consider the closer the roll is to the toilet, the more likely it will absorb "splatter" and "splashing" from the males of the species...

In any case, the holder in our main bath is mounted to the side of the lavatory cabinet, and is centered about 18" from the back wall, and 24" from the floor. The holder in our master bath is mounted on a side wall,

36" from the back wall, and 32" from the floor. Both are quite accessable and comfortable, so you can see there is a lot of flexibility in the mounting location.

Sit down on the seat, and hold the roll where you think it is comfortable. Then have one or two other family members do the same thing. Pick a spot somewhere in the middle of those locations and screw it to the wall.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I had a girlfriend who refused to have toilet paper in her house. She used Kleenex only. I never did get an answer from her about what it was about toilet paper she disliked. I can tell you she always had a sweet smelling bum...:)

Reply to
Jimmy

I hate to imagine what that would do to modern plumbing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

A modern substitute for dried leaves.

Reply to
Sam E

I hink they pitched them in the washer an Grandma washed them and then they were reusable.Thats where recycleing got its start.

Reply to
Jack

Thats easy........ Stand directly in front of your toilet. Place your ass against the wall. Let out a nice size turd and let it smear on the wall. That's where you put the holder (in the shitty spot). This is the reason the human body was designed the way it is. It's all about placement of the toilet paper holder. I know this sounds silly, but this is what God intended us to do when we install a TP holder, thus it's a religious thing and needs to be taken very seriously. This was documented in the original Hebrew version of the bible, but it was removed when converted to English because the ultra conservative republicans found it offensive. Either way, this is SERIOUS.....

Reply to
I-Forgot

I still prefer corn cobs........

Reply to