Toilet roll holder: how high, how far?

Page 1 of 2

You can tell that I am not the greatest home repair whiz. I need to install a toilet roll holder, but I blank out when deciding where on the wall it should go. Problem is, I recall most institutional settings have it at approximately elbow height and slightly to the front of the body. OTOH most homes place it much lower. I don't know why, because then you have to bend down to get the paper.
Why this difference, and do you think one placement is better than others? It is not a matter of what I like because it would obviously be used by many friends and family, young and old.
Any opinions?
Ours was mounted on the wall by the builder/plumber. When you sit on the "john" you should be able to reach it whether you are right or left handed.
One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to the left of it.
shirleyann
: One bathroom has the holder in front of the "john". The other one is to : the left of it.
We don't have the front or right option, has to be the left wall. My question, at what height from the ground and how far from the toilet bowl is best location for most people?
I recall that most institutions have them at elbow height, slightly to the front. Most homes seem to place them at least lower. maybe even somewhat closer. I was wondering why this discrepancy, and what works best in everyone's opinion here?

Wherever you like it. Mine is 30" high and about 8" in front of the toilet.
Ajanta wrote:

There are no majic numbers. The difference you observe between institutional and private mounting heights probably results from accessibility standards applied to institutional situations. Many residential situations don't have the ubobstructed surface of a stall partition, and so are mounted helter skelter.
Have you considered reaching for an imagined roll a couple of times and using the resulting "landing zone" as your mounting arrangement?
TB

You don't want the best height for most people. You want someplace a 2-year old can reach.
If you then have an adult who's too crippled to reach that, then mount a second holder. It's not like having a second roll available is going to be a bad thing.
Put it out next to the driveway.
Ajanta wrote:

Take a seat on the toilet and think about it. If you are still without an answer reach out with both hands and decide which one is close to a wall that is most convenient. That's that spot. Who cares where they put it in a commercial application.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
What is this "toilet paper" you speak of?

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:17:19 -0500, "Craven Morehead"

I had a girlfriend who refused to have toilet paper in her house. She used Kleenex only. I never did get an answer from her about what it was about toilet paper she disliked. I can tell you she always had a sweet smelling bum...:)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:17:19 -0500, "Craven Morehead"

A modern substitute for dried leaves.

I still prefer corn cobs........
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:25:33 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@all-woman.com wrote:

Careful, if you use them wrong, corn cobs can make you queer...
we put a surface mounted not recessed double roll paper holder to the left and another like it to the right as follows: within reach of the smallest family member, and at such a height so that that same seated human's reaching wet arm drips down toward its fingertips. also, all our grab bars double as towel bars and exceed minimum lengths to provide plenty of towel hanging space. but first see ada info and illustration at: http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Access/ADAAG/figures/fig29b.html "A 42 inch (1065 mm) minimum length grab bar is required to the side of the water closet spaced 12 inches (305 mm) maximum from the back wall and extending a minimum of 54 inches (1370 mm) from the back wall at a height between 33 and 36 inches (840-915 mm). The toilet paper dispenser shall be mounted at a minimum height of 19 inches (485 mm). (4.16.3, 4.16.4, 4.16.6)" and also: "4.16.6 Dispensers. Toilet paper dispensers shall be installed within reach, as shown in Fig. 29(b). Dispensers that control delivery, or that do not permit continuous paper flow, shall not be used." as quoted from: http://www.adaportal.org/Facility_Access/ADAAG/Tech_Rqmts/ADAAG_4-16.html
Ajanta wrote:

Ajanta wrote:

My grandpa always had a tub of yellow and white corn sitting next to thr john and you shelled it to get the cob. First the yellow and then white to check you wiped clean. That way the chickens aways had shelled corn on hand.

I hate to imagine what that would do to modern plumbing.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

I hink they pitched them in the washer an Grandma washed them and then they were reusable.Thats where recycleing got its start.

settings
the
be
shelled
LOL! eeeuuuuuwwwwww.

Today they go to the ethanol plants.
Some of THAT output is used in food and medicine.

If you're conflicted, don't mount the TP dispenser on the wall. Little racks are available that allow the, um, user to move the dispenser to any location. This has the added benefit of easily taking the whole roll to an area where TP is needed in an urgent situation (an extreme chick-flik movie in the family room, a beloved pet's "accident" in the hallway, or to celebrate the team's homecoming victory in the yard).