Toilet rocks when you sit on it?

Page 1 of 2
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad, when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

1. Set it in a mortar bed
2. Use wedges. #1 is better.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I would never do that. What do you do when you have to pull the toilet for some reason (repair, reflooring, etc)?
A bead of caulk around the whole underside of the toilet should be plenty to keep it from rocking (once you replace the wax ring, as everyone else indicated). I like to leave a gap at the back so that if there is a leak in the future, you'll have some indication. If the floor is so unlevel that caulk won't make up the gap, then I'd seriously be cursing whoever laid the floor...
-Tim
Tim Fischer wrote:

1. Remove bolt caps 2. Remove bolts 3. Lift up toilet 4. Knock off any mortar. Easiest if one has thoughtfully applied a parting coat of whatever. Ditto on floor.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 19 Oct 2006 10:02:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Install a new wax ring. In one case of mine I had to double the wax ring and add two vinyl wedges to stop the "rocking" and get a good seal. -- Oren

This would be roughly analogous to leveling the foundation of your house with PlayDo.

Did you read the rest of the post??
-Tim

Yes, but I was responding to his part of the post. Installing a new wax ring is irrelevant and beside the point at best.

It is totally relavant. The OP said his toilet was leaking at the base. That's a sign of a bad wax ring.
-Tim

That may be. The other posted implied wax rings are a cure for a rocking toilet. I was clearing that up.

Frankly, I would not let you clean up my crapper. Do you clean?
-- Oren

Apparently, you're a complete moron and it's time for you to go back in your corner with your pointy hat. My point was, was rings are not the cure.

I like you better as Joe Dirt with the "bring the chicks over" routine. I haven't seen you contribute to what the OP asked or even offer a solution. First the wax ring is not relevant and you were called on it since the OP had a leak. Now it is relevant, but not a cure.
I will state this as I have before: a double wax ring and wedges fixed my rocking toilet... not a cure for everyone.
-- Oren

I know you haven't. That's because you're not very smart.

And I will contribute this bit of information to the OP once again. Your double wax ring did not fix your rocking toilet. Only your wedges did.

With a double wax ring I got the very important seal I needed, so I could place the wedges and tighten things up...come on, you are smart. -- Oren

"analogous", A N A L
Fixing a rocking toilet, in my case involved two wax rings stacked and shims to get it to stop rocking and get it to seal correctly.. That is what I posted. Every rocking toilet will/may not be repaired the same. -- Oren

The real solution is to stop doing what makes the toilet rock before you go blind.

Touch -- Oren

It was the shims, not the wax rings. I don't expect you to know that, but I'm telling others listening that you're not really sure what you're talking about.

And you are full of shit. You don't tell anybody here what to do. -- Oren