Toilet Ring, Above or flush with the Floor?

Its been a while since I took a toilet apart and replaced the Wax Ring, I forget if the Mounting Ring is flush with the Floor or sits on the floor?
We are putting in a new bathroom and putting in Tile. Should the Ring sit on the backer board or be flush with the tile surface?
Thanks, Scott<-
Scott Townsend wrote:

sits on the floor flush with the tile surface
Ideally, the wax ring should sit flush with the waste pipe mounting flange. And that should be roughed in flush with the finished floor. a wax ring that comes with a funnel type collar, will allow you some leeway.
Depends on how thick you make the new floor, and that's usually more than the collar type will allow
Check original mounting flange 'some' were adjustable, but if yours is rusted tooo much, plumbing suppliers have adapters that can bring you up to new rough-in dimensions.

http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts.com/closet%20flange%20extenders.htm
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

the current flange and use a similar spacer (from Home Despot). My problem now is that the floor is 7/8" higher than it was and can't find closet bolts long enough. They have long enough 1/4" bolts everywhere but they just spin in the flange. The flange wants 5/16" bolts and I can only find them 2-1/4" long. :-(
...one more place to try this afternoon.
--
Keith

Its a New bathroom and new floor, so right now there is a 3" ABS Pipe that is Flush with the plywood subfloor. When we put the Backer board down we didn't leave room for the flange figuring that it would sit on the Backerboard and then be pretty close to flush with the finished floor.
Thanks!

Ahhhh.....Scott, Not to cast dispersions on your project.....But. Is 3" allowed in your area? I always thought waste pipe for toilets had to be 4" maybe I'm getting old, and not keeping up with the times????<g>
Scott Townsend wrote:

County Already passed the plumbing/venting. Not my fault if they didn't catch it. (-; Both Toilets are that way.
All that is left is the Final, so the Toilet will be on the flange when they come back again.. (-; hehehe

Copy that....Enjoy your new throne's....ketch 'ya later. Scott Townsend wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:05:43 GMT, "Scott Townsend"

I have a closet flange that sits below the floor, and didn't like stacking rings to make it work(leak free), so I was told to extend it to flush with the floor.
So from this advice, I guess you can be flush to below, but best to check with manufacturer's instructions.
imho,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
So flush with the FF it is!
Thanks!

I have seen no more than two wax rings stacked, but then you usually have to trim one of the rings (messy), use too much compression when seating rings, and they will crack.
Adapters are the way to go, besides, anything more than two rings, and your getting into rube goldberg's territory.
Tom The Great wrote:

Putting the Rings in the oven for a few minutes helps too! (-;