Toilet replacement questions

I have the old toilet removed for plumbing repair and since it's old and dirty, I want to replace it with a new one.
A few questions:
There are one-piece and two-piece toilets. One-piece looks easier to clean (no gap for water to hide). Is there any disadvantage, other than high price? Are there some brand that's better or worse?
Every floor flange photo I found on the web shows the flange mounted on top of the floor. But mine is mounted flush with the floor: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12478717_2d2zy
Is this a problem? Shoud I use a thicker wax ring, or a flange extender?

I have a one-piece Toto Ultimate, and it's been great. Low-flow, yet it flushes better than my old high-flow. Never once used a plunger, and the bowl stays cleaner than the old high-flow.

The higher the location that water falls from the more forcefully it will wall. An example would be Niagara Falls. Hence the higher the tank the more force your flush is going to have. Most one piece toilets have a low profile tank. Is your one piece high enough? The answer to your second question is no.

if your existing toilet worked well I would clean it up and reinstall. a new low flow model may introduce new troubles.

*Spacers are made in 1/4" and thicker to extend the floor flange up a little. Use RTV caulk between the spacers.