Toilet repair

Has anyone had American Standard SmartValve 2000 toilet repair kit install properly? It is adjustable for the water level and I keep finding it creeping upwards so that the water level becomes too high and empties via the overflow. It also makes a lot of noise and in the middle of the night after installing it, my house burped (well, that is what it sounds like when you're awakened from a deep sleep by plumbing) and the valve itself vibrates so loudly that it sounds like air-filled pipes.
Is this thing junk or have I installed it wrong?
Cheryl wrote:

did not work at all. i called up amer. stand. via their 1-800 number and told them the problem.. leaking smart valve.. they asked how old... well i told them 4 months..... ok, still in warranty.... they sent out another smart valve(must be pretty cheap to just send one out).. i did not wait for it and got a Fluid Master valve from Home depot and never had a problem with it since....... cost me about $6.00.........
In composed with style:

Thanks Jim. I guess I won't waste my time and have it replaced, and just buy another brand instead. And yes, the whole kit with flapper was $10, so pretty cheap.