Toilet refill rate problem

I have a toilet with a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve (installed by a plumber). It has (apparently) always had this problem: The refill flow rate is too high. The bowl fills and the refill flow keeps going and (apparently) water goes over the "hump" in the trap and down the drain. The water pressure here is not high. It seems to me that too much water is coming out of the refill tube and not enough is coming out elsewhere (wherever that might be). Can this be adjusted?
To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html
Click here to download installation instructions for the Anti-Siphon Fill Valve (400A) in the PDF format-> http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdf/400a_instructions.pdf
it has a float that adjusts fill level, squeeze clip and push it down a tad

George wrote:

over the tube to see if that helps the problem. I don't recall ever seeing a 400-A with too high a flow from the refill.
If the valve shuts off properly when tank full level is reached, then adjusting the float will not affect it.
If you have considered closing the supply valve (shutoff) partway, don't do it. Some of those valves will chatter badly if not fully open.
Jim
I had a similar problem with a FluidMaster.
If you've got hi pressure, and "certain toilets" water going into the overflow pipe will keep the flapper valve from seating. ( it also wastes a lot of water during the fill cycle )
I called FluidMaster. They sent me a plastic screw-clamp It reduces flow in the plastic hose that feeds the overflow pipe.
Problem Solved !!

<rj>
Thank you. This sounds like just what I need!

Question; why is part of the water that fills drained down the overfill tube when it is filling up ?When I install a new filler, I always just have all water run directly in the tank, not part in the overflow ?