Toilet questions

Do all modern toilet tanks have overflow tubes? I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my toilet started to drip in the tank. I'll be gone for a while so drips can quickly get out of hand before you know it.

If it has an overflow tube I should be OK until I get get to it. BTW, this toilet is 12 years old now. How do you stop a drip on the handle part? Will I need to call a plumber?

It's a very slow, irregular drip, maybe once every 5 seconds or more. TIA

Reply to
google3luo359

If it is dripping from the flush handle it is over filling and the fill valve needs repaired or replaced. If it has a turn off at the house side of the flex tube it would be wise to turn it off until repairs can be made.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

The drip is from the handle opening? Time to replace the filler valve. Ours did this because the valve was broken and the tank got too full. Wouldn't want it to let go while you are gone.

Reply to
norminn

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote the following:

12 year old toilets have an overflow tube.. There can't be a drip on the handle if it has a working overflow tube. The top of the tube is below the level of the handle. If you are worried about the bowl overflowing, it won't as long as there is no blockage in the drain.
Reply to
willshak

Depends, if the overflow tube was replaced and not cut off to the proper length, (which happens a lot) it can still spill out the flush handle hole.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

As suggested by others - turn off the water supply to the toilet while you are gone.

Reply to
NGDirect

re:"my toilet started to drip in the tank."

You said it's dripping *in* the tank. Where *in* the tank is it dripping to/from?

re: "How do you stop a drip on the handle part?"

What do you mean by a drip *on* the handle part?

re: "I ask because I went on vacation just a couple of days after my toilet started to drip"

I gotta ask...if your toilet was dripping/leaking/whatever, why didn't you turn it off before you went on vacation?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I guess this is as good a place to jump in with my reply as there was overlap in many of the responses.

I took off the lid and saw water dripping from a place near the handle mechanism. I can't pinpoint the location because I don't know toilet terminology and wasn't able to take a pic because of time restrictions. It was dripping from this handle spot into the tank water below it.

See above.

As I mentioned, everything happened very quickly and I had no time to think about what to do. I honestly would need help to even find out how to shut down the water to the tank. I'm a plumbing dummy. In retrospect shutting off the water would have been the safest/ smartest thing to do, but I can't do it now because I'm on my long vacation. I can alert my neighbour to check the bathroom, as he will be coming over once a week to check on other things.

Reply to
google3luo359