toilet questions

I'm trying to do a little homework before I get a plumber to put in a new toilet seat. I currently have a Beneke. My first question is do all toilets have the same "bottom" or do I need to search for a particular kind so I don't need to break any tiles in my floor. Secondly, any recommendations or does it depend on what I'm looking for? I want something that flushes well so I don't have to flush twice! I don't know if my current one is cheap or old, but it has a wimpy flush.

The "same" bottom. They vary, but they all fit on the flange in the floor.

I assume you are in the USA. In the USA wimpy flushes are mandated by law. To beat this, you have to buy a 3-gallon toilet in Canada and find a plumber who will install a 3-gallon toilet. Really, you could do it yourself if you are at all handy. It's not as hard as it looks. Get a good book (one of the brand-name books from Loew's or Home Depot etc for example) and get brave. A homeowner needs moxie. ;-)

No, they re the same

Go to Lowes and look at the Kohler Wellworth "comfort height" (taller-easier on the knees) elongated model. They run $ 147.50 and I ve had 6..3 in the last house and 3 in this one. They work well and you rarely have to flush more than once (unless the "Teddy Bears Picnic" is at your place)
Joe wrote:

For the most part they are all the same mountings.
When shopping I suggest keeping the following in mind:
1. Price is not a good guide for quality. Most expensive models are expensive because of styling not function.
2. For function, look for a large trap or passageway size. Consider 2 inches minimum. It should also be "fully glazed," With those two items, you will seldom have any flush problems.
3. Large water surface will mean easier cleaning.
4. Exterior design is totally up to you. If you like the way it looks great.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Your post says you want to replace the toilet seat. That's a 5 minute DIY chore that will require at most a screwdriver and will come nowhere near the floor. Basically there's elongated toilets and regular ones. Get a seat the same size as the bowl.
Doc
John H. Holliday wrote:

You may be right, but I suspect he is planning to replace the whole thing. Not many people would worry about floor tile if it really was the seat they wanted to replace :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I'm no plumber, but when my son had to replace a toilet, I helped him, and the footprint of the new one differed from the footprint of the original, and when the builder had put in the vinyl floor, they had cut it to match the original footprint, so he ended up having to replace the vinyl, also.
When I had my bathroom redone, I noted the new floor tiles went right up to the flange, so it won't matter if I get a new toilet with a different footprint.
The weak flushing toilets were caused when the government suddenly mandated the 1.6 gallon limit, and the manufacturers didn't act quickly to reengineer their toilets, so a lot didn't work well. Today, these problems have largely been overcome. My son got an American Standard Cadet for far less than I paid for my Toto, and his works just as well.