TOILET QUESTION

Hi- I am a lurker here. The flapper in the toilet tank operates properly when flushed by going up... but when it goes back to place it goes on its side as it is filling. I reached in to straighten it while the tank fills completely.... but I still hear a sound.. which is like the ending sound of the tank filling... & also the water in the filled bowl shakes. What I want to know is... is what is occuring using water? That I will see an increase in my water bill? Is it do to the flapper not being in the proper position? Thanks so much for any info you can give me. .Mindy

Reply to
.-.MINDY.-.

Not a plumber :-) But there could a few things. I've seen crud on the the flapper land the prohibits a good seal. The flapper could be damaged... easy to replace. The shutoff valve at the end of the float may not be 'snapping' closed or it could also be damaged. (If the float doesn't doesn't get high enough, the value will not close. Try bending the float's rod down towards the water.) The valve or valve hardware may be leaking.

Any of these things are easy to change.

Reply to
md

Buy a new flapper, it soundls like one ear is not attached, these things are wear items and cheap. Turn the water supply off to the toilet and bring the old flapper to the hardware store or borg and get an exact match. Under 10 bucks

Reply to
beecrofter

As other said the ears are no longer balanced, probably the rubber is wearing faster on one side. This is an easy job, and also a good time to make sure the nut on the flush handle is finger tightened, (it has a reverse thread). Make sure the chain has just enough slack when you hook up the new flapper, to both open it and allow it to close freely. Yes it's sending water down the drain.

Reply to
RickH

Yes! The flapper in not sealing to the seat; thus, the tank never finishes filling and will run....using water.

I found mine doing this in the middle of the night one time. Moving water in the bowl and a feeble attempt of the valve to shut off. Only a slight leak past the flapper.

For the moment I lifted the flapper and wiped away or cleaned the bottom of the flapper and seat. I expected the have to replace the flapper the next day. It seems to have only been only some crud on the flapper bottom.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

It's one of those thing you should have a spare for.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Thank you so much to all that got back to me! I so appreciate the kind attention this group gives. ..Mindy

Reply to
.-.MINDY.-.