Toilet problem

I have a toilet problem I could use advice on. The toilet constantly runs when refilling. When I open the back I can make it stop immediately, by pushing down quickly on the float. This makes the float pop all the way up, and therefore stop the water from running.

Is there any easy way to fix this type of problem, without replacing all of the inside parts? It seems that the float is just getting stuck. I would appreciate any help anyone may be able to provide. The toilet is a Kohler.

Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck and Erika Douglas

I don't think you did enough to diagnose the problem. First, you said that the toilet constantly runs when refilling. That sounds normal. If the toilet runs constantly or never finishes refilling, then it is probably one of two problems.

1.) The flapper at the bottom of the tank is not sealing. Replace flapper to fix. You can diagnose this problem by placing some dye in the tank and waiting. (Don't flush) If the dye appears in the bowl, you know that is the problem. 2.) The fill valve is stuck. The water keeps going into the tank after it is full, then runs down the overflow tube to the bowl.

You might have #2, but your method of diagnosing could also show that you have #1. If you press down on the float to diagnose, you increase the water flow, which then might raise the tank level enough to shut off the valve temporarily until it leaks out through the flapper again.

Reply to
Jim

One possible solution is to bend the float arm down slightly so that the water level would be about 1/2 inch lower. That way it may have enough additional force to get it to close completely. Some of the newer all plastic ones are made so that the top can be removed to flush out any dirt that might be in the valve too.

If that doesn't work, the easiest solution is to replace the whole assembly. You can get them for under $10 at any home center and they are fairly easy to install.

Reply to
trader4

bend the float arm down a little. if that doesnt work bend it down a little more. if that doesnt work, replace it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

If you dont want it to run when refilling turn off the water and use a bucket. I personaly like water in my toilet like 99.999999% of the world does.

Reply to
m Ransley