Toilet - partial flush problem

The flapper in my toilet tank falls back into its resting position about halfway through the flush and prevents the tank from emptying completely.
The flapper is attached to the overflow pipe by two flexible "legs", it's made of rubber and its centre consists of a hollow cone of rigid plastic with a hole in it.
Can anyone offer advice on how I can get the tank to empty completely?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Darro
darro@no_email.com wrote:

    Buy a new flapper. I believe that air is supposed to be trapped under the flapper and keep it open until the water level in the tank drains. If the flapper is closing too early it would seem this is not happening, or you have the wrong flapper.
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:33:05 -0700, darro@no_email.com wrote:

The flapper is supposed to float like a cork as soon as you lift it with the handle.
If it doesn't, then get a new flapper. Walmart sells them.

It is a design feature for conserving water. If you let go of the handle, you get a partial flush that is sufficient for an all liquid flush. If you have a heavy load, hold the handle down to get a full flush.
Charlie
I bought a brand new toilet and the same thing is happening....not a big deal I suppose but it gets on my nerves and guests don't know what's happening so I shout thru the door...HOLD DOWN THE HANDLE....annoying....I sized it up and I don't know that a new flapper will do anything to fix it.