Toilet on concrete floor - what's under there?

Hiya!
Doing a little bathroom remodel, including putting in a subfloor. The current floor is concrete, and the toilet sits directly on the floor, as near as I can tell. I'm going to need to raise the flange up 2 1/4" to be level with the floor. I'm not sure if there'll be any way to extend the current pipe up, as I suspect that it's set into the concrete. Are there fittings available to attach to a flange, and install another flange above that? Or should I get out the sledge and replumb the whole flange to the level of the floor?
-Tim

I had this problem in a 58 year old house I once owned and the contractor just used 2 wax rings. It never did leak but I am sure there is a more professional way to solve your problem.....good luck..
Personally wouldn't use wax to span > 2". AFAIK there are fittings designed exactly for this purpose.
-Tim
Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim is right. And there are different ones for each app.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html describes some.
OP needs to determine the size and material of the existing install to get the correct one.
Jim
Tim and Steph wrote:

My house was that way. There is a flange you can get that the center pipe part sticks down an inch or so and has an o-ring around it to fit inside and seal with the existing pipe. Mine was a mess though, the concrete seemed to have spilled over the top of the pipe when the house was made, I had to beat some away and then get a flange with a size smaller and just seal it with caulk as the one made for this wouldn't quite fit.
says...

Yes. Any real plumbing supply house can fix you right up.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc