Toilet odors and germs

Two recent postings debated bathroom fans, odors and germs. One poster was correct in identifying bathroom fans as "ventilation fans." (which are installed to remove moisture, not toilet odors). He was also correct in stating that the ventilation fan will not pull odors or germs from the toilet bowl, although this should be checked before making a definitive statement. When a toilet is flushed a plume of germs and odors is spewed over 6 feet into the air where a ventilation fan will have some affect. The germs float through the air and land on counters, towels, tissues, faucets and toothbrushes where they can live for up to several days. (This is based on scientific research from at least 2 sources.) Germs found in toilet bowls include Hepatitis A, Norwalk Virus, Fecal Coliform, Salmonella and others. Norwalk Virus is the cause of "Sick Ship Syndrome" and has caused hospitalizaion and emergency surgery in some cases. A device that vacuums odors and germs from the toilet bowl would help control the spread of diseases. Eliminating the embarrassment caused by odors would be an added bonus.
Toilet Guru wrote:

Yea. Of course I have yet to see a study that indicates that they make the room less safe than other rooms. In fact the only study I have seen indicated that there was no measurable difference.
Manufacturers create the impression of doom and sell products to protect you from it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:59:45 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Amazing that mankind has made it this far.
Toilet Guru wrote:

Fortunately for me, SWMBO decreed that we get the Kohler Peacekeeper when re-doing the bathroom. No handle, one must lower the lid in order to flush:)

There's this show on Discovery, It's called Myth. http://tinyurl.com/td0l
They did a show about toothbrushes and fecal bacteria (episode 12)... They strung toothbrushes throughout a bathroom in all possible locations. In the end, all the toothbrushes tested positive for bacteria... Even the "control" toothbrush that they had kept outside of the bathroom covered 24 hours a day.
Shit happens.
No pun intended..
Grim
I know that this can be done, but it would be costly to install, and to maintain. I am thinking of installing an Ultraviolet forced air sterilizer system for the toilet area. The installation would be something like the air sterilizer that is used in the food industry for their large food and solution storage tanks. These systems are very expensive, but may be something to consider, since our health is effected.
--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG

How safe were (are?) privies? If they are totally safe, get rid of your fancy toilet and build an outhouse. If they were unsafe, how did we survive millions of years without toilets? We are a wealthy society indeed when we have time to sit around worrying about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Best come-back I've seen! The human has had to deal with natural body eliminations since the beginning of mankind. And guess what! We're still here! Clean the bathroom regularly and teach everyone good hygiene and live your life.