Toilet not flushing 'Hard enough"

Is there a website for troubleshooting toilets? I'll ask here first ...maybe someone can help. I replaced all the internal working mechanisms in my toilet that had been flushing fine (good strong flushes) with no problems. I had to replace all the working mechanism due to a sudden break down of a part that was no longer available. After replacing all the guts and doing everything the instructions said, I now have a weak flush. The water level in the tank comes right up to where the old water level stopped at. We have to stand and hold the lever down while watching a flush or the toilet will not totally clear leaving a specimen for the next user to look at. Lots of times a person has to flush twice.

So if you have some constructive sugestions i would appreciate a few tips...If not.... a website would be fine....thanks and happy holidays.........Jim

Reply to
Jim

Try eating more fiber and your toilet may be able to cope.

Ignoramus21494

I'm suspicious that someone didn't try to flush something they shouldn't have. The possibility exists that there's now a blockage that needs to be cleared. Get one of those more elaborate plumber's helpers and fill the bell with water. Try to flip it over into the toilet without spilling it as much as possible. Water is incompressible and the helper will have much more effect full of water rather than air. Do this as many times as you have to until things flush like they used to.

Waste pipes run from smaller to larger, so if you can pop the blockage free, it will wash into a larger pipe, eliminating (pardon the pun) the problem.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On 12/7/2004 10:56 PM US(ET), Jim took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Try adjusting the flapper valve chain. There should be very little slack in the chain. Too much slack and the flapper will not lift enough for the water to rush between the flapper and hole fast enough to hold the flapper open.

Reply to
willshak

What kind of toilet is it? I had the same problem with my Eljer one piece toilet. I had to replace the flapper but apparantly every aftermarket flapper I purchased did not work. Once I bought the OEM flapper, it worked fine. My flapper has a piece of styrofoam attached to it so it can stay open longer. A plumber told me sometimes the aftermarket stuff will not work well.

Reply to
mikepier

I agree on the OEM flapper.

Reply to
Art

I had this same problem and it turned out to be that the places where the water comes from at the bottom was clogged. I shipped it away with a screwdriver and it worked much better afterwards.

Reply to
scott_z500

Easier to accomplish by pouring white vinegar down the overflow tube, letting it set for a few hours, then cleaning the rim holes with a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush.

A question for the OP. What kind of flush do you get with a

5 gallon bucket of water?

And is a "disinfectant" tablet being used?

Reply to
Michael Baugh

my first thought!! i learned the hard way. who'dathunk it. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

Blue Goo problem perhaps----

I went through some of the same problems only to solve the problem by ridding the tank of "blue goo." I never would have thought of it-- still makes me chuckle a bit.

Reply to
Pelorus

Jim,

Take a look at this site.