Toilet Mechanism Vibrates/Replace Ball Cock??

I have a American Standard toilet that I think is around 17-20 years old. It has the ball cock/flush ball mechanism in it.
Recently, whenever the toilet flushes, after the water refills the tank, the flush ball arm vibrates very slightly, but it, makes a huge racket.
Is there a way to quite that vibration???
On the same subject, our downstairs toilet, (brand new) has a different kind of mechanism. There's no ball cock or flush ball. It looks like a completely enclosed valve or something.
I'm wondering if it's possible to install a mechanism like that in the upstairs toilet.
Anyone have any thoughts??
FLSTCI wrote:

Replace the ballcock. You can get new ones similar to the other toilet.
How-to page here: http://www.toiletology.com/replace.shtml
NOTE: Things can and DO go bad with first-timer jobs like this.
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

Old mechanisms were well made, todays are short term junk!
disassemble and replace worn washers, its easy and fast. try to find a real hard ware store for washers and help.
home depot isnt ideal, they will just sell you a new plastic mechanism, that will need replaced every 3 to 5 years:(
washers are cheap! at least try this approach befor tossing dependable ballcock you will regret it later...........
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's a fair point and I would have to agree... Jim