Toilet leaks at Floor when Septic Backs Up

My toilet never leaks on the floor, but last week the pipe to our septic froze. I had a plumber fix the clog and thats solved. But when it was backed up, a small amount of water was leaking where the toilet joins the floor. That tells me the wax ring is leaking. But, is it normal for the wax ring to leak when the sewer backs up?

Tom

Reply to
tomlittle

bamboo

Agree. And the toilet may actually be leaking the rest of the time too, just less so that it's not visible. This can result in rotting of the floor before a problem is noticed.

Reply to
trader4

Normally the backup is prior to the wax ring, but it sounds like you may have a problem below that. If so you need to figure out where that blockage is and fix it.

In any case I would suggest buying a new ring, replacing it and while you have it out snaking the pipe.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't think wax seals are designed to hold back water pressure. Thought they sealed against splashing water going down, and gases in a vented piping system (so zero pressure).

Might want to tackle the cause, like stop your system from backing up. Then pop the bowl and replace the seal while checking for damage to the flooring, or piping.

Just a guess, not your plumber.

tom @

Tom The Great