Toilet leaking thru system

I have a toilet that tops itself up full about once every 5 minutes, I think its leaking out from the 2" flap that gets opened when you pull the flush lever.
First of all, that is that part called?
Second, are they all standard, and are they a PITA to replace?
Also, there is a vertical pipe inside the tank, and a thin tub pointing into its top end. Is that a noise reducing mechansm, or an overflow device?
Thanks
Dean
On Sun, 20 May 2007 20:55:29 -0700, dean wrote:

Flush valve flapper or simply flapper valve.

Easy as pie. Shut the water off, pop it out and take it to the local hardware otherwise all standard stuff.

Overflow.

Mr Plow,
Thanks for the reply. 2 questions:
1. When I pop out the flapper valve, do I need to lift off the tank for access underneath, or just reach though the top of the tank?
2. What's the thin pipe for that reaches up over into the overflow? Doesn't seem to do much, no water passes though it during normal tank filling.
Thanks!
On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:07:07 -0700, dean wrote:

There are two hooks at the base of the overflow tube, just drain it and look at it with a flashlight, you'll see as plain as day that you can remove the flapper easily. Be careful though if the toilet is old as the plastic overflow tube can get brittle I say this as a precaution only.

Supposed to help fill the bowl to the proper level. It may be clogged which isn't usually a problem.

Yer welcome!

Ok thanks! Will tackle soon.
dean wrote:

You've already got all the correct answers, but if you want to study up a bit first, this site will give you "more than you'll ever need to know". <G>
http://www.toiletology.com /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

All good advice...Sometimes all I need to do is take the flapper out and clean it and around the rim of the hole it plugs in the bottom of the tank.They can get buildup of slime or crud..

Well, bought a silicone flapper valve from HD, and it works better now than it ever has before! Thanks all, I appreciate all the advice.
Dean