Toilet leaking problem

Hi, I hear drip drop from the toilet all the time, every once in awhile I hear it running, like its filling back up or something. No water spills onto the floor or anywhere. Is seems like whatever keeps the water in the bowl is leaking. What is that part called and please point me to instructions for fixing it. thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

sounds like the flapper is leaking, there are no valves below the tank, it's all done by gravity from there.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Phantom flush? Maybe flap is worn out causing a very tiny slow leak.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:46:46 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Flapper. Clean/adjust and or replace. Located in the bottom of the tank.
When you hear this, check for water movement in the bowl.

We had to replace the flapper valve some six months ago because of same symptoms. A slight leak into toilet bowl After took it out noticed that one edge had distorted or deformed slightly due to the weight of water pressing it down against the hole in bottom of tank that leads to the flushing bowl. IIRC this is only the second replacement in some 20+ years. Very cheap item and very easy to replace. Ours is made of some sort of black plastic or rubber although therec are other types, some fancier; but whether they have any advantage don't know.
Thanks, to fix the flapper does the whole toilet have to be disassembled?

On Dec 11, 8:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Form a plumber, Shut the water off at the valve located to the bottom left, Reach in and remove the flapper, Take the flapper to the hardware store and get one jut like it. replace all of the flappers in the house at the same time. They are the same age. It sound easy but toilet repair "Call Backs" for plumbers are the most that we do. If you don't get one just like it you will have problems. I gotta go to my Jack Hammer show. Good luck!
If your toilet actually has a flapper, most older models do, then just reach down and remove it by hand. No tools required. Shut the water supply off first.
When buying a flapper try to stay away from the "universal" cheap black flappers. They dimensionally may be off just a slight amount. This slight dimensional difference may be all it would take to make your brand new flapper leak.
If possible buy the toilet manufacturers flapper that should be made with closer tolerances. If you can't get the stock flapper go with a flapper like the red "Korky Plus" 5 year guarantee flapper. It is made of a better quality rubber and can withstand chemicals like "Vanquish" and alike that some might put in the tank.
It's best not to put any chemicals in the tank. If you must use chemicals put them in the bowl.
On Dec 10, 6:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

As others have said, replace the flapper. The cost is minimal and it isn't worth trying to 'fix' the one that is there.
That is the "normal" problem but there are some rare other ones.
I had a toilet where the chain would occasionally flip and kink not allowing the flapper to seat correctly. Took a lot of looking before I spotted the problem. Solved by hanging a fish sinker off the lift arm.
Harry K

Water running down the overflow tube is not that rare. At least in my experience.
That should be obvious if you lift the tank lid. The cause could be less obvious.