Toilet keeps clogging?

I have a 23 year old Eljer toilet that has recently started clogging up badly. I plunge it, it flushes normally with water, then clogs up immediately. It is getting tiresome.
Any idea why I am suddenly having this problem and what I can do about it? I have a toilet auger, but if it flushes normally with water, then I don't see that it would be useful; and it is such a job to dry (My sons swear that nothing improper has gone it it...)
you will be using a service mirror before and after pulling the toilet. you will be taking the closet auger up thru the bowl, grabbing a towel, and pulling it thru the toilet's own trap. using a 2 gallon or larger shop vac, drain tank and bowl water. inspect bowl with your favorite service mirror on a telescoping handle for unauthorized flushed items. with a spare variety of wax seals and some plumbers putty and your plumbing tools, remove water supply and toilet from floor. use mirror to inspect toward sewer and inlet and outlet of bowl. happy hunting!

Make the son help. And tell them to shut the damn lid on it to keep from dropping things in it.
Toller wrote:

Chances are quite good that something like a plastic prescription pill bottle got flushed down it and is stuck crosswise in the trap, and the closet auger is sliding right past it.
Short of running a small endoscope down it to see if there *is* a foreign object stuck there, your next option is to pull the toilet, tip it over and see what you find.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I just did that to another toilet last month, yes, to get a pill vial out. Really didn't want to go through it again so soon, but you are probably right.

Get bigger pill bottles.
If its not that, you may have a partial clog further down the drain. easy to determine once the toilet is up.

Similar problem over the years involving a comb, hair clip/s etc. Worst was a piece of turkey bone that we had unknowingly dumped into the toilet when getting rid of a partial (large) boiler of soup post Christmas soup! Eventually had to take toilet completely apart, and turn to shake and turn the bowl part over and over while poking and prodding to dislodge it. The bone was quite short, about 2.5 inches IIRC, but it would not go round the bend! It was also very reluctant to come back the way it went in!
He said he didn't use the closet auger. If he had, he woulda reported that the auger blocked, got caught, etc.
Sounds like the usual corrosion.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

You pretty much solved the problem when you mentioned the name "Eljer".
I have one of them, except mine is about 8 to 10 years old. It came with the house, and ever since I moved here, I got to plunge it almost anytime I take a dump. It dont even need toilet paper to clog, just a good hefty crap will plug the f)#&*! thing. I have snaked it out with a toilet auger, installed a new wax ring, modified the tank for faster flushing, and everything else imaginable. I worked as a plumber for quite a few years when I was younger, so I know what I am doing.
To be quite honest, the whole problem is the *NAME* Eljer. Of all the toilets I have repaired, installed, and used, Eljer is by far the worst brand ever made.
I have a used toilet sittting in my shed waiting to replace this useless piece of junk, but like everything else, I never find the time to do the job. In the meantime, I just plunge everytime I take a shit, and continue to cuss at the damn thing.
I should also note that this toilet is the first toilet that I have ever snaked and the auger got stuck in the damn toilet. I finally got it out, but ended up bending the hell out of the snake. Apparently Eljer makes the opening way too small. I'll be glad to send this toilet to the dump where it belongs. It should have been sent there before it was sold.
Mark
don't get discouraged. it took me then plumber #1 then plumber #2 to find a plastic disposable picnic spoon hiding in the bowl's own trap after 5 years of complaints. on a different job a tenant's stool sample wooden stick caused the same described problem. never give up!

me took lunch. lunch good. me then took nap. nap good.

Or......
"6-Foot Snake Found In N.J. Toilet" http://www.nbc10.com/news/5131274/detail.html
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:38:17 GMT, Brad Bruce

OR
Stick of dynamite. It will never clog again :)
Seriously, use the closet auger. Amazing all the corrosion and stuff that you can ream out, and flush down the line.
The $23 Ridgid closet auger is well worth the extra money, compared to the cheapie $8 one.
After you run the reamer in and out, leave the reamer as far down as you can, and then flush the toilet. This rinses off the snake.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.