Toilet in the kitchen and other home inspection follies

Un-flipping-believable.

Toilet in Kitchen - yes, it's functional. Yes, it blocks access to the drawers and the sink base. No, we didn't "test" it.

More crazy kludges at

Moe DeLoughan

The toilet one, if it's real, IMO is by far the winner.

I liked the caulked new shingles across the whole roof in the second link too.

The urinal and sink in an unfinished basement, they look properly installed. Probably a code violation to have them in an unfinished space, not in a bathroom enclosure, I guess.

Reply to
trader_4

Saves pissing in the sink. Enclosure aside, looks like a hand setup for guys.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If that's a code violation, then there are millions of them around the country. I've seen many basement toilets in private homes that have no walls around them. Back in the mid 1900's that was a popular thing to do. The key word is "PRIVATE HOME". In a commercial building, there would be rules, but for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Can't say that I've ever seen a toilet in a basement without it being in a bathroom, ie with walls and a door. Seems mighty strange to me. Not as strange as the one in the kitchen, but still very strange.

Whether it's a code violation would likely depend on when it was done. If it was done in the mid 1900s, then it might be OK. The pic though was of a modern one. I just pulled up NJ code, which like most states follows IRC, and it says: "Such water closet, lavatory, bathtub shall be contained in a room or rooms which are separated from all other rooms by walls, doors or partitions that afford privacy....." nuff said Beyond that, there are reqts for ventilation or window, electrical outlet location, etc. I didn't even see an electrical outlet in sight in the pic of the urinal. So my vote is it's a big fail.

Reply to
trader_4

It is enclosed. It is a very large 20 x 28" lavatory. Hey, stop putting all that stuff in my bathroom!

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any way I like in my own home.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A Pittsburgh toilet in the basement was common for dirty mill and mining workers to come in and clean up before going upstairs. No walls around toilet.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I remember my grandfather coming home from the mine, all black. Grandmother would heat up water on the coal stove, heat up the galvanized tub placed in kitchen. That's how they did it early 50s. No interior bathroom.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Beat me to it. I live in the Midwest, but this setup was common in my neighborhood in the 1960s (homes built in the 1940s-50s). I remember how taken aback I was as a kid the first time I went into a neighbor's basement and saw a toilet just sitting right out there. My uncle hung a shower curtain on a U-shaped frame around his basement toilet.

This was back in the days when a 2 or 3 bedroom, 1 bath home was standard. Second baths and wall-to-wall carpeting were both unheard of luxuries.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Maybe you should be able to, but a code violation is a code violation whether you sell the house or not. I agree, you're almost certainly not going to get caught on it or have to do anything about it until it's sold though. But imagine some other code violation, that ultimately caused a fire or something that burned down the house, killed someone, etc. That could have legal repercussions.

Reply to
trader_4

Reading the code as was posted, you could argue it complies as I said. It is just a really big enclosure.

Safety code violations such as wiring or gas piping can take lives and damage property. No arguing there.

The addition of a urinal does not threaten lives. It is not a requirement to have in the house, just a convenience. Assuming properly connected, of course. Using it in a relatively open area is a personal decision. If you want privacy, there is another bathroom.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You could argue that with the inspector if you like. I think you would lose. The home inspector weighed in with his opinion. If it was common, accepted, OK, IDT he would put it on his list of blatant code violation examples.

There are volumes of codes that are enforced every day that have nothing to do with lives and propery damage.

Cool, so put a urinal or toilet in the living room. See what the inspector says about that.

Reply to
trader_4

You might need a bathroom that LARGE for storing all the toilet paper needed! :)

After all, you never know when there will be a shortage of toilet paper, because some asshole gets greedy, and hoardes it all! :)

Tell THIS to the building inspector. I bet he would be lost for words!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Fire at the Clappington plant, in Southern California. That was in the news years ago, Jerry Simonreid reported on it.

BTW, believe it or not, I'm the author of that. One bored evening. I know; no one believes me.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also reminds me if the first barracks I stayed the night entering army at ft. Dix. Bathroom had an open line of toilets, no walls. Glad it was only one night.

Greg

Reply to
gregz