Toilet Help PART II

I replaced the flapper in the toilet but everytime I adjust the chain the flapper will not stay open long enough for the toilet to flush properly..since we only have one bathroom in the house this is frustrating to say the least..does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done to make sure the flapper stays opens long enough...please let me knwo ASAP,,I tried adjusting the chain about 6 times.making it shorter & longer,,nothing works..

Reply to
john246

If you purchased an aftermarket flapper such as Fluidmaster, some of them do not work well. In some cases you have to get the OEM flapper. Thats what happened in my case. I had an Eljer toilet that would not flush correctly with a Fluidmaster flapper. So I ordered a genuine Eljer flapper online, and it works fine now.

Reply to
Mikepier

My experience is: there are two types of flappers. You need the type that has an air pocket, so that it will stay afloat during flushing. Go to a plumber store and ask.

Reply to
Feng Ouyang

I also had the flapper with the bucket and a new flapper seat, and it did not work well. Part of the problem was there was not enough room for the flapper to swing up with the bucket on it. What kind of toilet are we talking about?

Reply to
Mikepier

Fluidmaster has a flapper with a bucket on the back. The bucket has holes in it for draining. When the toilet is flushed the weight of the water in the bucket holds the flapper open until the water drains out of the holes. The length of time this takes can be made longer by closing some of the holes with supplied pegs. This flapper is part of an assembly which includes a new flapper seat (which sticks on top of the old one), so it also eliminates any flapper leaks caused by a poor seal between the flapper and the seat.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Since the flapper is part of an assembly including the seat, the who assembly can be turned so that the bucket does not hit the overflow pipe.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

On some toilets, yes, you can do that. But some toilets like my Eljer Cantebury, the flapper drain is not flat, it is on an angle. So rotating the assembly would somewhat affect how long the flapper would stay open, usually resulting in weak flushes.

Reply to
Mikepier