toilet handle chain getting caught in flapper

Hi everyone,
I've been having the problem of having the chain from my toilet handle getting caught underneath the flapper, thus preventing the flapper from closing. A jiggle of the handle usually solves this, but I don't think I should be having this problem.
When the flapper is closed, I have the chain adjusted so it is nearly taut. When I press down the handle to flush and let go of the handle, the handle immediately returns to its original position, therefore creating a lot of slack in the chain which gets caught underneath the open flapper. What's the solution to this chain problem?
Thanks, Dave

You might try one of the flappers that uses the "rubber" chain. They tend to float where the metal one sinks fast.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Make sure the lever doesn't land in the water when released. I had the problem where the plastic chain would float above the lever and hang up there. Installing a metal chain kind of solved the problem. Once in a blue moon, the metal chain will catch where it's connected to the flapper, holding it up. --Mike

Replace the lower half of the chain with a long link made from stout copper wire.
SJF
I did something similar. it was many years ago, but I think I remember taking a nylon tie strap, and weaving it through a couple of the links. Made the chain more rigid.
or did I use copper wire? Can't remember. But it worked.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Forget the chain, they are forever getting caught. Replace it with a heavy piece of fishing line. Leave about 1/2 - 1/4" slack and you will never have a problem.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Now why didn't I think of that? My problem is the link to the flush arm very occasionally flips over the top of the arm thus holding it open. The fish line should solve that.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I've done it to 3 toilets over the past 10-15 years and never had a flapper stick open. In fact, the first thing I did with a replacement toilet was to throw the chain away and replace it with fish line. The last time I looked at toilets I noted that some manufactures now use a flat plastic strap to couple the arm and the flapper.
I usually shorten the chain to fix the problem.
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

Except in my case, the chain is already as short as it can be. There is slack in any chain after a flush until the flapper/ball drops.
Harry K
Maybe the flush lever arm rotates down too far & allows the slack to get under the flapper?