Toilet Flushing Mystery

Page 1 of 3

I've got 3 of the same toilets installed in the house I built in 2005. One toilet has me totally freaked out. It doesn't flush properly and has gotten somewhat worse over time. I can hold the flush handle down and the flapper opens just fine. The tank is filled with water and it empties at rate similar to the other toilets. The bowl just fills up with water the whirlpool starts but it acts as if it is slightly plugged. It flushes a little and the waste eventually goes down, but never the normal "empty the bowl" flushes I see in the other toilets. I've plunged it before so I know there is no clog.
Does anyone have some advice on how to debug this? My instinct says the bowl was just casted defective. I can't imaging its a larger plug somewhere else because all the other drains in the bathroom work fine.
Thanks!
TN wrote:

If it's always been a problem I'd suspect lack of near enough or large enough venting or simply a poorly laid out drain line path that while it isn't blocked it does add flow restriction in the path. An example could be a 90-ell instead of sweep in a horizontal run or this is the last on a longer nearly horizontal run or somesuch...
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:24:59 -0500, dpb wrote:

Gotta have a long enough vertical drop after the flange for the siphon to build up enough suction to pull turds and tissue down. Especially with today's low-flow bowls.

BALONEY!
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:02:59 -0400, JohnnyD wrote:

Even more drop if you want to flush BALONEY.
snipped-for-privacy@nowheremonfrere.com wrote the following:

So you are saying that a toilet on a ground level concrete slab has the same drop as a toilet on the second floor directly above and using the same drain and vent pipe?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/1/2010 3:39 PM, Hugh Jassolle wrote:

the siphon is performed in the toilet. As long as the pipe is of proper size, it doesn't need vertical drop. As a matter of fact MOST toilets will have a 90 immediately after the flange just below the floor joists.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:22:38 -0700, TN wrote:

http://www.e-chinaware.com/info/faq3.htm

Review this:
"...Here are some things to try if the weak flush is caused by an obstruction in the bowl's rim, where water is discharged. Toilets with this problem may quickly accumulate unwanted deposits because the flush leaves portions of the bowl unwashed."
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet
Are you sure the tank is filling high enough (marked line in tank)?
On 9/1/2010 4:42 PM, Oren wrote:

I had some bad toilets in the past and would adjust the water fill to stop just before it reached the overflow tube. On one I put a pipe fitting on the overflow tube so I could raise the water higher. (can't go too high or the water comes out at the flush handle) Now I have one that works great with no blockage in a year or so since I installed it, and a second that the previous owner replaced and it almost always works.

Always possible that the wax ring was compressed too much and interferes with the flow.
The damnest problem I ever had was when the lid from a small makeup case got trapped in bowl loop. Sometimes it would pivot one way and all would be fine. The next time it flipped the other way an nothing went down.
Did not solve that problem or know the cause until I used the BFH on the removed bowl. Using the BFH was an act of faith as I knew there had to be something in there.
--
Colbyt
Re Toilet Flushing Mystery:

I had something like this happen to me once. It drove me crazy until I pulled the toiled and found that a piece of dental floss that someone had tried to flush had gotten hung up across the bowl discharge where it mates with the floor flange. Liquids would flush without a problem, but solids would be impeded by the floss and prevent a good flush.

re: "a piece of dental floss that someone had tried to flush had gotten hung up across the bowl discharge
re: "a small makeup case got trapped in bowl loop."
In my case it was the cardboard roll from the toilet paper. (darn kids!)
It was stuck vertically allowing liquids to pass but catching solids.
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 06:27:10 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Another slow flush culprit are Q-Tips. I've snaked a few out of toilets in my lifetime.

Hugh you need to be more anal retentive. ; )
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 07:50:28 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:

LOL. Women love to toss Q-Tips in the commode.

I was referring to your posting name...it can get smaller!
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:03:51 -0700, Bob Villa wrote:

Oh I got it.
On 9/1/2010 3:22 PM, TN wrote:

ok, was it always this way?
if not, you have an item in it. Pull it off the floor and inspect.
--
Steve Barker

I had come across a similar problem a few years ago with my parents toilet. Replacing the toilet fixed the problem. As I was throwing the old one out I noticed a small hole in the siphon part of the toilet. Paper would catch in that hole and the toilet would act just like you describe. How did the whole get there? I think it possible a small metal snake that was used on the toilet years ago may have caused the damage.