Toilet flush using too much water

I've closely observed my toilet and it is using too much water per flush. I watched the meter outside while my son flushed the toilet and it used 6 gallons rather than the 1.6 gallons it should! Prior to flushing and after the bowl is filled there is no movement at the meter so I know it isn't leaking. After watching it flush I've noticed the flapper takes a long time before it closes. I've adjusted the chain float only to find it doesn't make a difference. There seems to be water and/or bubbles coming up through the drain hole in the tank and it keeps the flapper open for a long period of time. Only after about 30 seconds does the flap close and begin filling the tank again. What can be done to resolve this? Where could the water or bubbles be coming from?

is your meter in gallons or Cu feet??? For a toilet to use 4x as much water, it would flood your bathroom.
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:57:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Why? The toilet has a drain and as long as water runs, it will drain. Aside from the 1.6 gallon used in a flush, the bowl also has more capacity.
If the flapper is staying open, the fill will just keep dumping water down the hole, into the bowl and down the drain. The OP has to find what is causing it to hang up or replace it completely.
Lose the float and hold the lever down for the flush, the flapper will drop almost as fast as you let go.

Is this something new, or is it a new toilet, or what?

@Corbett and Kerri:
Is your toilet new or an older one ?
Replacing the flapper and fill valve in an older toilet won't make it use 1.6 gpf...
Sounds to me like you are reading something wrong, as you would need a REALLY large pipe to be using 6 gallons in 30 seconds of hang time...
Are you absolutely certain that nothing else connected to the water was operating when you were checking the meter ?
~~ Evan
Corbett and Kerri wrote:

Hi, You found what is wrong right here. Flapper is not moving free.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Don't some flappers have a water counterbalance to hold the flapper open. Water drains out thru a hole until it gets light enough to let the flapper flip shut. Maybe the hole is plugged?
12 GPM does sound excessive.
I'd run two experiments. 1) Hold the float until the tank drains and the flapper closes. Then measure the amount of water to fill the tank. If there's a path around the flapper during the fill, like there is in my old toilet, that volume may be set way too high.
2) Close the source valve to reduce the flow during the fill. That should reduce the amount flowing thru the open flapper.
The results of those two experiments may help you discover the discrepancy.

I've performed similar experiments: 1. Water source valve turned off, the toilet flushes normally. 2. Adjust the float too high and the flapper closes within 5 seconds. It never has enough time for the siphon to start but it shows that the flap moves freely.
There is some sort of backflow coming up through the drain that is keeping the flapper open for an longer than normal time. The bubbles coming up through the drain hole don't start until the siphon process has begun. Based on all of this, I'm thinking the toilet is clogged causing the refill water to backup and keep the flapper open. I guess it's time for a new toilet.
Corbett and Kerri wrote:

How much longer???? You're losing 4.4 gallons. Seems like that oughta be an obviously LONG time. Most homes have at least two toilets that can be compared to determine the difference.
The bubbles

Replacement seems a bit extreme. Why not try to fix the clog first?
The bowl part of a toilet oughta be one of the highest reliability devices in the home.

muriatic acid as sold in stores is pretty benign.......
give the toilet a good acid bath which will improve its flushing too:)

Save water, shower with a friend! Although, the neighbors husband wasn't happy when his wife said she was trying to save water.
On Friday, October 21, 2011 6:20:49 PM UTC-7, Corbett and Kerri wrote:

This happened to me when my husband changed the flapper....what he also did was turn the water on to the toilet at almost fully open.....I turned down the water to the toilet and presto....my problem was fixed.....
On 12/10/2014 11:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

the flapper....what he also did was turn the water on to the toilet at almost fully open..... I turned down the water to the toilet and presto....my problem was fixed.....

Think of all the water wasted since Oct 21, 2011! Curses on you for waiting so long to reply.
On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:46:40 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How far opened the supply valve is should have very little effect on the water used per flush. If anything, I would think having the supply valve partly closed could increase the water used. While it's filling some water is sent down the overflow tube to help completely fill the bowl. The longer it takes to fill the tank, the longer that water is going down the overflow tube and once the bowl is full, it's going down the sewer. With the valve partially closed, that flow rate is reduced too, but I would think it still could wind up using more if the tank takes a long time to fill. But overall, I don't see a way that choking off the supply line saves water per flush.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:58:22 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Did you use that much, 6 gallons? Did you look at the meter or you just heard it run a long time. If looking at the meter, how long did it take to see 6 gallos roll by?

Yes, but it's going at a lower rate. I do this all the time, so the toilet won't make noise, and at valve settings close to closed, it barely dribbles into the bowl during refill.

Alas, I posted my paragraph too soon.

I don't think so. In addition, the OP said 6 gallons but the 2nd P is the one who said turning the valve partly closed saved water. We don't know how much extra the 2P is using.

How one could possibly use 6 gallons in a flush, I do not know, unless the OP waited 20 minutes while the flapper leaked. .