Toilet flush problem

Page 1 of 2
This toilet is on a septic system on the first story. For several years this thing has failed to flush maybe 1 out of 10 or 15 times. A plunger easily makes it clear. The shower and sink in the bathroom drain perfectly and are on the same septic system. I have tried using a toilet awl with no improvement. I've also tried vinegar as an acid cleanout and that hasn't worked. I guess it has to be a poor design in the toilet itself. Any ideas on how to fix this situation?
Thanks for any relevant answers.
On 6/18/2012 10:24 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Yes.
The toilet is about 3ft higher than than the drain outlet into the septic tank. The toilet is about 20 ft from the tank.
kenw56 wrote:

Hi, Our toilet out at the cabin is like that about 3 ft above drain port into the septic tank. The pipe leading there is little bit sloped downward. We use low volume water tank and it never fails to flush.
On 6/18/2012 11:03 AM, Oren wrote:

Nope, and I cleaned out all commode water inlets so the inflow would be as fast as possible.

Into the commode bowl itself, not down the overflow.

Ring jets were cleaned out, no kids to drop stuff in, and the snake apparently never dislodged anything.

Is the toilet a real old one with full flushing water, or a somewhat newer one with lower flush water, or even newer with low flush water but a better flushing design.?
some questions first.......
does the toilet appear t just swirl the water when flushed??
try flushing some solids with a bucket, does it flush well?
if so the toilet needs a acid bath..... its cheap safe and effective. with just a few precautions.
buy muriatic acid a gallon will do many toilets, open the window all the way. wear safety glasses, and buy a funnel.
plunge as much water out of the bowl as possible.
put on glasses with window open
put funnel in dip tube where the hose sends the water, otherwise known as the overflow.
pour the acid gently into the funnel avoid splashing.... se a quart or so.....
leave room shut door, wait 15 minutes, flush toilet normally 10 or 20 times to dilute the acid in the lines.
test toilet you should see dramatic improvement:)
muriatic acid is pretty mild i put some on my skin it was warm but didnt burn me..
clogged bowl rim passages causes poor flush. the bowl rim water actually causes a small wave in the toliet. that helps send the solids down
Toilet flush problem:

Are these the "low" flush type toilets?
On 6/18/2012 12:24 PM, CRNG wrote:

No, it's a regular toilet. I've tried pouring a bucket of water in quickly and that sometimes works, but not always. Could it just be a poorly designed product?
"but not always". Does the water level rise, and go down slowly?
You're gonna have to provide a bit more detail.
No, it's a regular toilet. I've tried pouring a bucket of water in quickly and that sometimes works, but not always. Could it just be a poorly designed product?
On Jun 18, 3:45pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Does it matter if it has been raining and thus raising the level of the fluid in the septic tank and thus slowing down the flushing action?
When you say it is a regular toilet, that tells us nothing. A regular toilet 15 years old is a high water flush, a regular toilet in the past 5 years is a low-flush toilet.
On 6/18/2012 3:27 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

No, it fails even with no rain for weeks.

It's not a low-flush toilet.
On 6/18/2012 2:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Fill it to near overflow, and it either doesn't drain at all, or slowly drains. Occaisionally, pouring in water causes it to quickly clear.

Sounds like your "stack vent" is clogged. Look on that side of the house, for a 1 inch or so tube that comes up through the roof. See if you can clear the stack vent, wtih a drain snake, or stuffing a garden hose in, and blast it loose. Requires climbing on the roof.

Re: Toilet flush problem:

Ok, I had a similar situation once with a "regular" (non-low flow) toilet. It was driving me nuts. I finally removed the bowl from the floor and found that someone had tossed some dental floss in the bowl and flushed it. The floss got jammed across the drain floor flange and would sometimes interfere with the flushing of toilet paper. The paper would hang on the floss until plunging or snaking broke it lose.
You might have to remove to bowl to check if there is any obstruction.
On 6/18/2012 4:14 PM, CRNG wrote:

Maybe, but when I used a toilet snake on it, wouldn't it have cleared that up?
I'm wondering if the venting is inadequate, or if the design of the toilet is defective.
kenw56 wrote:

    I cannot say exactly what your problem is, but your experience is very similar to one I just had:
    One of my three toilets was slow in flushing and sometimes took a couple of flushes in order to completely flush. I checked the water level in the tank, and it was fine. Being that the toilet was over 30 years old, I used the Muriatic acid fix to clear any accumulated lime, even though I did not see evidence of that being the problem. That did not improve the flushing.
    Next I bought a toilet auger (aka snake) and ran that through the toilet. I never really encountered anything that felt like an obstruction. Thinking that the stack vent might be the problem, I ran a snake through it. It too did not seem to have any obstruction and the flushing did not improve.
    Finally I reluctantly removed the toilet thinking I could clear the line better than with the toilet still attached. Finally I retrieved some hair from the line. It appears that the toilet was going to the tub and the hair was accumulating in the line from the tub and not the toilet. Once I had cleared all the hair I could with the snake, I poured some liquid cleaner that I purchased at Home Depot that was supposed to work on hair and finally flushed it with hot water after several hours. That solved my problem.
    My point is that although it is not what I wanted to do, removing the toilet made clearing the line easier and more complete. Perhaps that will solve your problem?

OP might try a few buckets of VERY HOT WATER! it can do no harm and might really help
Of course, that's the other option.....
Ok, I had a similar situation once with a "regular" (non-low flow) toilet. It was driving me nuts. I finally removed the bowl from the floor and found that someone had tossed some dental floss in the bowl and flushed it. The floss got jammed across the drain floor flange and would sometimes interfere with the flushing of toilet paper. The paper would hang on the floss until plunging or snaking broke it lose.
You might have to remove to bowl to check if there is any obstruction.
More detail about "failed to flush". Does the water in the bowl go up, and then down slowly? Does the water not deliver in the usual number of seconds? Does the water go through the bowl, but solids don't go down the pipe?
So many different types of "failed to flush".