Toilet Flange Clearance

I'm redoing my bathroom and have removed all the old flooring, leaving only a 1/2 inch subfloor. The toilet flange now sits 1 1/2 inch above the subfloor. I will be tiling the floor so with 1/2 cement board and about 1/2 for the tile and mud this only covers 1 inch. This would leave the flange 1/2 above the finished floor. I've read everywhere about how to raise the flange but does someone else have any suggestions about dealing with too high of a flange and what is too high?. Yes I know that I could add one more layer of subfloor, but I would like to try alternatives. Thanks for your help.

The top of the flange is ideally flush with the finish floor, but 1/2" high may not be a problem. I suggest you do a test on your new toilet to see if it will be OK.
Cheers, Wayne
On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:50:33 -0700, BobD wrote:

A half inch should be fine.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

I have never had a problem where the bottom of the flange sat on the finished floor. That is real close to 1/2". So close I would never worry about it.
A 1/2" thick subfloor is not thick enough. Add another layer of 1/2" plywood to stiffen it (glue and screw it down) so the tiles don't crack will also correct your toilet flange problem, and then you are golden.

That wasn't the question BobD asked but the advice is excellent and I agree completely. Should have caught that myself. -:)