Toilet Flange

The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had disintegrated due to rust. After removing the toilet, I see that the flange is badly rusted too.

As you can see, a piece of the hold down bolt is still stuck in the slot on the right side of the flange. Even if I chisel it out, I'm not sure if the channel on either side will be able to lock the new bolts in place.

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Is replacing a flange a job for a professional or can someone fairly handy but inexperienced do it?

Reply to
Bob

Link didn't work for me.

RicodJour

Sorry, please try this one:

You can view the image online or download it. If it's too dark, let me know and I'll take another picture.

Reply to
nobody

That is a dark picture, but it probably doesn't matter too much. I can't make out whether the soil line is cast iron or something like black ABS. Is the ring soldered in place with lead? Definitely warrants replacement.

Here's a Google search for you.

Plug in the type of waste line material you have and you should find instructions.

RicodJour

The picture is dark (from the second link you posted), so it is hard to see.

But, from what tou are describing, I htink there may be two solutions:

1) Clean the crud from around the bolt and under the flange and slide the broken piece over to the opening and take it out. Then slide new bolts in and see if they will catch to old flange and hold the toilet down. Usually, this works.

OR,

2) If the old flange is broken or too damaged, I ht> The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had
Reply to
BetaB4

Me,either.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Years ago, I got a plastic flange replacer. It was about $25 at the local store, or $20 at Home Depot. It pushed into the existing pipe. Tightened with an allen wrench, and then the toilet screwed onto the new flange. I removed the old flange with a big hammer. Might not work as well, in your case.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Flange Repair Kit:

Terry Love Thread: