toilet fixed!!

Hacksaw took off the plastic gasket, no sweat, then the new handle/gasket go on (sure enough, it IS reversed thread!) Chain comes out from underneath flapper and I am happy flusher!
You old timers probably think "So what?", but this is my first DIY job in my own home. I am one proud geek.
Thanks everyone, for the tips along the way. I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me!

Congrats on the DIY repair, probably saved yourself about $50 - $75 by not calling a plumber.
DJ
DJ wrote:

Learning never ends. It's life time deal. Congrats. Tony

advice then disappear leaving the group to wonder what the resollution was.
Glad your first project went well. Trust me you have plenty more of them to look forward to :-)
Steve B.