Toilet drains without flushing

The toilet in the master bath will drain water out immediately as you pour it into the bowl. If you pour in a gallon, it will return to the previous water level without flushing. It also makes a very slight gurgling sound now and then if left undisturbed. I just bought this house and I don't know what has been tried. What could cause these problems?
Rock
Rock wrote:

What is that level. All standard toilets have a trap arangement that normally will establish a certain level no matter how the water enters the bowl.
If the water is low (not all toilets have the same level) then there may be a crack in the bowl and that means replacement.

This sounds a lot like a blocked or improper vent or drain. That could also cause the level to be low. If you like going up on the roof, and can do so safely, you can try running water down the vent(s). That may clear a blocked vent. A blocked drain may need to be snaked from the clean out in the basement.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Rock wrote:

every toilet I've owned will flush itself if you dump a bucket of water in it.

isn't that the opposite of what you just said?

I would make sure the valve looks good and nothing is seeping down the drain.