toilet doesn't flush well

One of our toilets doesn't drain very well. If you take a crap and wipe yourself a couple of times it sometimes backs up. I can plunge it and clear it, but who wants to do that 2-3 times a month? I am on a concrete slab.
badgolferman wrote:

    Simple things first. Water level in tank may be set too low.
    Bob
RobertM, 1/29/2006,4:50:18 PM, wrote:

The water is about an inch-an-half from the overflow tube. Is that too low?
badgolferman wrote:

    If overflow tube is correct length, then that's about right. There should be a water fill line on the inside of the tank.
    Bob
badgolferman wrote:

top of the tube. Also look to see that the flapper isn't closing very early. Some have a float on the pull line and might be attached to high. Also check for any rubbing or erratic behavior when you flush.
Any chance it's an older 1.6gpf toilet? those are notorious for doing what you describe. I had a houseful of them, and if they only stopped up 2-3 times a month, I would've been thrilled.
If that's the problem, you may want to invest in a newer 1.6gpf toilet with a larger drain. I now have two of those, and they rarely clog.

H, 1/29/2006,4:52:22 PM, wrote:

It is a Mansfield from June 1990. It has plenty of water.

Actually many of the newer 1.6 gallon toilets do a better job than some of the 1990 vintage 3.5 gallon toilets. I've purchased two 1.6 gallon Universal Rundles ... for bathroom renovations in two different old houses, and both work much better than the 5 gallon toilets that they replaced.
On 29 Jan 2006 21:45:25 GMT, "badgolferman"

Try taking a crap on a wood floor and dont wipe yourself. This way you shouldnt need a plunger and you'll save money on water and toilet paper. Your welcome. Bubba
Here's an experience I had once in an apartment where shared bath with an elderly lady. The toilet would stop almost total one time and then work fine maybe two or three times then stop again. Ran a plumbers snake thru it and couldn't find anything. This kept happening till I finally remove the unit from the floor. I found the culprit. Was the lid of a tin can that was almost the size of the drain tube in commode. It had lodged there and was acting sorta in a butter fly manner. It would close then it would open. Apparently the elderly lady had dropped it in there and didn't notice what she had done.. It was a mystery situation till I took it apart though Jack.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net, 1/29/2006,6:15:00 PM, wrote:

I may be resorted to that soon.

Use chemicals to clear internal passages in closet. Use chemicals to clear drain pipes. Snake the closet. Check the vent pipe and clear. Outside air pressure when you flushed? ( Impractical to find out, was it calm or windy did the weather-man say barometric pressure high or low?) Have sewer line snaked. Xeno
Does the toilet always flush fine if you uase a bucket?
If the water mostly swirls around in the bowl and doesnt go down fast check the bowls rim. hard water can clog the rim passages.
try pouring water with food cloroing down the dip tube in the tank. see f the colored water comes out well all around. poor flow equals sediment deposits
recently fixed a toilet broke 2 years by pouring acid down the dip tube. dont recommend it but it worked great.
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml
a excellent reference
Calcium buildup in passages particularly the larger one at the bottom near the drain hole. Use a bunch of pipe cleaners and some C.L.R. or any other commercial calcium remover. Clear the hole and I'll betcha it'll flush like new.
--
Garage Door Parts, LLC