toilet doesn't clean out

My first floor toilet won't empty out when flushed. Even when it is just liquid. The bowl doesn't clear out. I ran a toilet snake in as far as it extended, and we have no small children to cause the problem. There is a horizontal 3' pipe that leads to the verticle in the basement. Our upstairs bathrooms are connected to that, and they work fine. Upstairs toilets are low consumption and the one that doesn't work isn't. The water seems to come out of the rim alright, but it just looses momentum and then sits there. I should be able to figure this out, but I can't and hope one of you fine individuals will show me the way.
Thanks! P.S. If I need to give more info, just let me know.
--
toolmiser

Following up on the two comments already made, Try pouring a bucket of water into the bowl. That should flush the toilet without using water in the tank. If that produces a good flush, the problem is water delivery to the bowl. Try using a coat hanger to clean the orfices under the rim of the bowl. TB
I sounds like not enough water is flushing or you would get water on the floor if it was blockd
Do you use one of those "toilet disinfectants"? http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

Sounds like ya got a bit turd lodges somewhere in da system. Eat more fiber.
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:07:30 +0100, toolmiser

I had the same problem you have. I changed my ball flapper (the thing that the chain hooks to) and bought a "high flush volume flapper" from Home depot for about 5 bucks.....end of problem

toolmiser wrote:

Most likely it means you either need to get the pros out with their professional equipment. It may be a clog beyond your reach. However there are two other possible issues I can think of. The vent above could be clogged. It extends through your roof and sometimes dead animals or bird nest clog them. Another possibility is that your toilet may have build up of deposits under the lip and that is clogging the flow of water into the bowl. You may want to check that out as well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
If there's a fair amount of buildup in the orifices, I suggest using a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush. After having poured vinegar down the overflow the night before.

Michael Baugh wrote:

A good point. They do tend to cause problems, the kind that go into the tank.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
toolmiser Wrote:

In my area, the water is quite hard, which has led to calcium deposits in the rim and the siphon jets. Give the toilet a flush with a bucket, to check if it'll start siphoning that way, but I suspect your jets may have lost their "calibre". You know, atherosclerosis of the porcelain. I've heard of folks dissolving the deposits with an acid solution, but it was an involved, tedious process. Some think a wire coat hanger, bent just so, can auger out the rim jets. I'd probably buy a new toilet, a good one. Tom
--
tomeshew

CLR or vinegar have been reported to clean out the calcium in the rim. Pour it in the overflow tube in the tank.
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:56:42 +0100, toolmiser