[SOLVED] Toilet Broken Overflow Tube

While replacing the flapper valve in our American Standard toilet (probably 20 something years old) the overflow tube broke right off at the bottom. It appears that it was screwed in but that the threaded end is still stuck in the bottom. Any advise on what to do? It would seem that if I could just get the threaded piece out I could get a new overflow tube and screw it in. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jeffy3

You can replace the entire thing if you take the tank off the bowl. Brass is way better than plastic.

Use a sawzall to cut the bolts attaching tank to bowl, those bolts will be rusted frozen in place

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
buffalobill

leaks can be minimized by putting silicon bathtub caulk on all sealing surfaces after drying everything well.

then let the reassembled toilet sit a couple hours so it cures well

This taught to me by a old plumber who tired of taking stugf apart twice.

Stuff peels right off if ever necessary:) no long term damage

Reply to
hallerb

Get the finest tooth hacksaw blade. Break off one end, so that you can work the teeth in closer. Hold the blade vertical inside the brass fitting. (Use a good glove) Scrape the threads with the teeth as you revolve the blade around the fitting opening. With some effort and patience you should be able to extract the broken brass threads.

Take the old tube to a big hardware store (I doubt that BigBox will be much help.) There are 3 different Refill tube (Overflow) diameters. Match one up. Saw cut to proper length. Use sealant (Loctite) on the threads.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

DEFINETELY USE ALL NEW WASHERS AND HARDWARE!

The silicone bathtub caulk is a belt and suspenders pproach and saves multiple reassemblies

Reply to
hallerb

If it's 20 years old, that makes it even more worthwhile to fix it rather than get a new (low flow) one.

Reply to
CJT

Jiim, thanks. I think I'll give that a try and then call a plumber if it doesn't work. I don't mine keeping the economy going by paying a plumber. I just didn't want to pay one to replace the flapper valve, which is a job that doesn't even require tools!

Reply to
Jeffy3

Sawzall? Nutz, use a Dremmel tool with a cut-off wheel to slice the nuts in half and you won't break the tank or the bowl.

*Always* replace all hardware (including gaskets) when you got a toilet apart. It's easy.
Reply to
krw

Jim thanks again. This worked like a charm. The toilet is up and running (pun intended).

Reply to
Jeffy3

Jim - Well its been a lot of years since you posted this fix, it worked like a charm for me too! We have a 1926 Camden Pottery toilet that was original in our Boston home and still working great today. I thought for sure I was going to have to replace the entire flush valve and crack those ancient nuts on the elbow connecting our wall mounted tank to the bowl. I had no idea that their were threads and this method was great time-saver! Less than $4 for a new brass overflow valve, an Old Milwaukee mini Hacksaw for less than $15 and a pair of 32 TPI fine hacksaw blades for $3 and I was all set. I thought I was going to have to keep scraping the threads until they were gone, but using a headlamp I thought I saw them rotate and, sure enough, I was able to rotate them out in one piece by hand.

Thanks so much Speedy Jim!

Reply to
Paulie