Toilet Bowl Problem

The 27-year-old toilet has a thin brown stain or scratch at the bottom. Removed all the water and let it soak in pure bleach. Then used a product called "The Works" which is hydrochloric acid. The stain remains. What is the diagnosis and cure? Thanks, Jack
x-no-archive: yes
maybe the ceramic glaze came off

Get a new toilet. That 27 year old has performed valiant service and doesn't owe you a thing. Des
Reminds me of Jay Leno's bit about his father bringing back a 30 year old toilet seat which came with a lifetime guarantee.

and

I can't bear to part with it. It's more than an efficient toilet with excellent working original parts and a big reservoir which can remove the largest log with one flush. It has become a friend. Many, many times it was a source of comfort on workdays at 4 am as I barfed the previous night's hangover. I did some of my best plotting and planning on that throne, too.
BroJack
Perhaps you could find a ceramics guy to reglaze it! Seems like the toilet deserves a make-over.

and
with
remove
Especially after the previous brojack post.
Dave

While this sounds more like a problem for Dear Abby than for a reglazer, I found a product called Tough Tile at the local Grossman's Surplus Outlet that's a Acabado Para El Fregadero Y Azulejos/Mosaicos...um...let me turn the box around...a Sink and Tile Finish that Refinishes and Renews Sinks, Tile and More. Creates a Lasting Porcelain-Like Finish. Haven't tries it yet. There's several similar DIY products out there. Got a old bathtub that needs a reglaze/repaint, myself.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

This is a common hard-water mineral deposit, not a stain.
Go to your local hardware store, and in the home cleaning section, you will find something called a "pumice stone". One brand is Pumie. It's a very soft volcanic rock that you can rub on ceramic or porcelain without scratching.
Clean the toilet normally (i.e. with Sani-Flush or whatever), then drain the bowl by lifting the flap but not pulling the chain that triggers the tank to refill. You can now rub the pumice on the stain. It will leave a lot of grainy residue but this is easily flushed away. A bad deposit will probably require several applications.