Toilet Bowl Mounting

I just reinstalled my toilet onto my bathroom floor which has new ceramic tiles. It is the older style with two rear bolts and two screws at the front. I had an awful time trying to determine where to put the holes for the front screws - on the previous wood floor it was not a problem. I tried putting the marker down the hole but when I tried to line up the the screws, my holes were a little off - besides the screw would probably have to be longer to compensate for the additional height due to the ceramics. In the end, I just used the two rear bolts and everything seems to be fine - no leaks, no rocking. Any suggestions as to how to handle a situation like this in the future or did I try to make it harder than necessary?
How about setting the bowl down then use a small drill bit to mark the holes?

Ultraglide wrote:

You definitely need the bolts on the front. If you leave them off, the bowl will rock back and forth, breaking the wax seal. Ultraglide has good advice on how to do it.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

Ultraglide is the one who asked the question. Perhaps you meant someone or something else?
--John

problem is that you can't access the hole with a drill because you can't drill vertically. In addition there's not much room to swing a hammer if you have a punch or similar device.
Ultraglide wrote:

Just a thought, but how about some washable paint (the kind they sell for kids that can be easily washed off of clothing and walls) in a spray bottle for marking. Spray the hole copiously then wash the paint off everything that it's not supposed to be on.
Is there enough clearance to go after it with a "close quarters" drill (Amazon.com product link shortened)?
--John
Ultraglide wrote:

You'll have to position the toilet, put something through the front holes to mark the correct postion, remove the toilet, drill the holes, replace the toilet with the wax seal, and fasten it down.
I use a pencil to mark the position, then a hammerdrill to make the holes. You can get a flex shaft for your drill, but the punch will be really hard to use.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Ultraglide wrote:

again, and drill the holes.
Personally, if I had it out anyway, I'd never put a weird toilet back. (Unless maybe it was some strange style or color that matched all the other fixtures, and replacing it would make the bathroom look wrong.)
-- aem sends...
J. Clarke wrote:

Sorry about that, chief.
I guess Don & Lucille is the correct reference.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement