Toilet bowl gasket

I noticed that this toilet was not secured to the floor even though the screws on each side of the bowl were tight. I purchased a new toilet bowl kit with gasket, flange, and screws hoping to repair this problem. However when I removed the bowl, this is what is in the floor:

This to me doesn't look very good. Is this a major repair?

Thanks for your replies.

-- David Farber L.A., CA

Reply to
David Farber

They make a repair flange that goes inside the pipe and expands to fit. I've used them with success. I got mine at Lowes or Home depot, I really don't remember which. I did run into a minor problem in that it wouldn't go in far enough to go flush, + my pipe was slightly twisted forcing me to get a 1/8" shim for under the toilet. Yours however,looks like a good candidate for that repair.

Eric in North TX

What Al says about replacement flange is just about what I was gonna say. I got my replacement flange at the local Ma and Pa hardware, but later saw them at Home Cheepo.

The one I did, I had to remove the old flange, but that doesn't seem to be a concern in this case. Get the replaceement internal flange, and have at it.

The one I did ended up needing some wood shim for under the edges of the toilet so it wouldn't rock.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey Dave

You could also break it at the next joint down below. That is, dig out the packing and discard that pipe section. There are products to join a newer pvc line to a cast iron connection. The guys at the local plumbing store will stear you in the right direction. It's not a hard job just a nasty job.

Cheers Dale

Reply to
whatever

I bought the repair flange. I'll have a go at it soon. Looks simple enough to install. Famous last words, right?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
David Farber