toilet: after installation questions

just put in the new Kohler Wellworth

1) do I need shims? The installer of the previous toilet did a super job on making the floor even and level. So the new toilet does not rock and is level. However, it does not make contact with the floor all around the right rim. So should I put any shims in the gap, or should I trust that the inner feet are bearing the weight well enough?

2) this thing takes 1'45" to refill. Is that the design, or is something wrong? The water feed line is wide open.

3) I noticed I have to hold the lever down in order to get all the water out from tank to bowl. Is that normal? If I just push down then release the lever (like with the old model toilet), a lot of water stays in the new model's tank as the outflow valve closes immediately.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom

If it does not rock, I would just caulk the gap with a quality acrylic latex caulk.

You hold the lever down for number 2s. Urine you just press and release.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You might not get all the advice you need in a NG. Call Kohler customer service and get the right info right away. They are famous for their product support. The refilling and operational issues are things they can clarify for you. You are correct in recognizing a problem. My guess is that the earlier installation was cobbled together to fit a non standard toilet. The weight on most toilets is placed on the peripheral flange which works best sitting on the flooring. The floor, therefore, must be level and the drain flange at the specified height for the toilet. Read the installation instructions again, and rework the flooring and flange as necessary.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Not a good idea to caulk all areound the gap. If it develops a leak you will find out too late,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Only uses the shims if it rocks.

Adjust the lever / float stuff.

Reply to
Oren

Caulk is fine around the toilet. In the back/center, there is a spot (gap) that one would not seal up. You will still notice a leak, located behind the toilet bowl.

Reply to
Oren