Today's heating Q from the Bluesman

Greetings everyone ~

1st of all, thanks to everyone who has provided feedback to my various issues with my 100 year old colonial. It is my 1st house, and while much of my Mickey Mouse repair work does the job, there are some things that I need help with being the life-long tenement dwelling city boy that I am...you guys rock.

Anyway - now that(I hope) the insufficient heat to the radiators has been resolved, (thanks BB) and I have the $69 wall panel heater on the way for the unheated room (that probably won't work - but if it does, I will be a genius) I was wondering about insulation.

A couple of years ago, I insulated 1/2 the basement ceiling between the joists with R-12 rolls using a staple gun. It didn't really seem to do much, so I was in no rush to do the other 1/2 of the basement since it was a pain in the ass and a really dirty job.

So my question is - is the cost benefit worth it to insulate the basement celing which essentially bottom of the kitchen floor? The basement probably never get much colder than 50. I was also thinking of wrapping all the heating pipes with insulation - but since I can't insulate all the other exposed piping running in the walls, is this really worth it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Yes, it may also increase the comfort level of walking on the floor in stocking feet.

Thee are tradeoffs here. Insulating them will make the heater more efficient in the rest of the house. It will also allow the basement to be even cooler. If that does not matter, insulate.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wouldn't expect much benefit from insulating the floor, as heat rises.

On a 100 year old house, you will get the most "bang for your buck" by modernizing windows to eliminate sash weights, and improve the R value of the glass itself.

You also might want to investigate having insulation blown into the exterior walls. It's possible they are not insulated at all, or very poorly. The can do this without wrecking your house. They remove a ring of clapboards around the house, drill holes behind them, and blow the insulation into the wall cavity. Then they seal the holes and put the siding back on.

What is the insulation like in the attic? That's the cheapest place to start, and you can do that yourself if you have someone to help you. Many outfits will loan you the blower equipment for the job if you buy the materials from them. You need one person in the attic with a walkie talkie, and another to attend the blower out in the yard.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

First remember. Insulation doesnt give off heat. It just stops the infiltration. Next, Dont insulate between floors if both areas are heated or conditioned spaces. All you will do is increase the difference in temp between the two. If you insulate for sound reasons, then thats a different story. Same thing for wrapping ducts or ductwork. If they are in conditioned spaces, there isnt a big benefit and that space with the ductwork will then become cooler (in the winter). Have fun. Bubba

jimmy my pet and Ransley.........you are both still two peas in a pod. Stupid peas in a pod, that is.

Reply to
Bubba